Coral dying

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this for about a month now and the coral has never opened up, I’ve tried moving it various places but it stays the same the last few days it has had a slimy coating appear on it and has turned brownish, I remove the asterina starfish off it as and when I see them

8F439B0E-455B-47BF-8163-8144E5D0C137.jpeg

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't mention your water parameters. So not much to go on, but, from your pic the tank is growing a healthy crop of good algea so I believe it's doing what leathers do. They react to environmental changes by closing up and growing a waxy skin. For days to weeks the waxy skin ages and starts to get dirty and frayed even grows stuff on it. Then all of the sudden one day it will shed the skin and open up bigger and better than you've ever seen it.
Give it some time all leathers do this from time to time.

OP
OP
N

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium 460
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 8.4
Salinity 1.025
My nitrates are high but they have been for ages, I’ve posted about them before nothing seems to get them down but I’ve had no issues with them being high so far unless this is the first?
I didn’t think it would stay closed for as long as a month tho?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't mention your water parameters. So not much to go on, but, from your pic the tank is growing a healthy crop of good algea so I believe it's doing what leathers do. They react to environmental changes by closing up and growing a waxy skin. For days to weeks the waxy skin ages and starts to get dirty and frayed even grows stuff on it. Then all of the sudden one day it will shed the skin and open up bigger and better than you've ever seen it.
Give it some time all leathers do this from time to time.

This, it is sulking, once it sheds it should be a joy. :)

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I think it's just moody and getting ready to shed. If it's not crumbling, developing holes, or turning black or yellow, it is probably fine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back