Coral Glue Stuck on Wall

College Fishkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I recently bought a second hand 40 g tank for a great deal but the only problem was that the back wall of the tank has pieces of coral glue on it and it's proving harder to get off. I've tried using apple vinegar to scrub it off as well as using a razer blade to try and scrape it off but with no avail.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to remove the coral glue. The tank is empty right now so any ideas are all welcome!

A joke I heard my biology professor tell me earlier today: What's the difference between a poorly dressed man on a unicycle and a well dress man on a bicycle?

I'll update with the answer to the joke tomorrow; good luck guessing!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can soak a cotton ball with nail polish remover and let it sit on the glue, assuming it’s just super glue. Unless it’s a crazy amount, I’d probably just leave it. It’ll get covered with coralline and hopefully blocked by amazing corals!

OP
OP
C

College Fishkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can soak a cotton ball with nail polish remover and let it sit on the glue, assuming it’s just super glue. Unless it’s a crazy amount, I’d probably just leave it. It’ll get covered with coralline and hopefully blocked by amazing corals!
I tried rubbing it off with acetone but I haven't tried letting it sit, I'll try that next. Thanks for the recommendation!

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I recently bought a second hand 40 g tank for a great deal but the only problem was that the back wall of the tank has pieces of coral glue on it and it's proving harder to get off. I've tried using apple vinegar to scrub it off as well as using a razer blade to try and scrape it off but with no avail.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to remove the coral glue. The tank is empty right now so any ideas are all welcome!

A joke I heard my biology professor tell me earlier today: What's the difference between a poorly dressed man on a unicycle and a well dress man on a bicycle?

Almond oil. You can tape a cotton ball soaked in oil and let it sit overnight and it should come off pretty easily. Heavily saturate with the oil

OP
OP
C

College Fishkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almond oil. You can tape a cotton ball soaked in oil and let it sit overnight and it should come off pretty easily. Heavily saturate with the oil
I tried this yesterday but I probably did it incorrectly because all it did for me was make the glue more adhesive and got part of the cotton ball stuck on it when I tried removing the cotton ball. I think I'm just going to get someone to remove it and make it their problem for $$ LOL. Thank you for your input though!

OP
OP
C

College Fishkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

The joke to the answer: a tire!

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this yesterday but I probably did it incorrectly because all it did for me was make the glue more adhesive and got part of the cotton ball stuck on it when I tried removing the cotton ball. I think I'm just going to get someone to remove it and make it their problem for $$ LOL. Thank you for your input though!
Oh no is it super glue or silicone caulk?
Is it superglue or

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back