CORAL GLUE: What do you want out of coral glue?

How do you like your coral glue?

• Thick

Votes: 371 86.7%
  • Somewhere between thck and thin..

Votes: 54 12.6%
  • Thin

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thick for gluing frags. When gluing rock together I am waiting on some Gluemasters thin to come in and then make judgement on that. The Gluemasters thick seems to work OK for rock. Waiting to my new tank wet and cycled before I work with anymore frags.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a thick gel. I use loctite superglue. To help cure a quick dip in the water and its cured.

d.hedrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have yet to find a glue that really sticks and doesn’t keep running out of the tube and blobbing all over my hands.

d.hedrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have yet to find a glue that sticks well and doesn’t keep running out of the tube and blob all over my hands. Even had a tube bust.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most importantly, the tube needs to remain useable. I've found that IC-GEL tubes never clog in between uses and the cap always comes off easily. Other glues seem to be a one shot deal.

ScottReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super Glue 15185 Gel, 12-Pack, .07oz tubes

Clean the tip and cap it and they last between gluing. Add in a sandwich of Instant Ocean putty and you’ll never get it back off.

Last edited:

GrapevineReefs

Chalices & Carnations
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow im Shocked that someone voted for “thin” glue in the poll! the thicker the better IMO but what’s super important to me as well as how long it takes to set and strangely enough the fastest setting glue I’ve come across hands down is the dollar store brand cyano gel although there are some brands I’ve not tried but out of the many that I have I go with the dollar store stuff

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that with the Seachem glue, given enough time to sit my Tudexo isn't able to pick them up and wear them as a hat! I picked up a tube of the BRS glue though so I'm going to give that a shot in the new tank I'm setting up.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like thick glue that bonds quickly/I can use instaset with. My current favorite is BSI IC-Gel. It's nice and thick and bonds quickly. I think my only complaint is that I have to move it around a bit if I'm gluing directly in the tank to break the skin that forms when the glue hits the salt water, and that gets a bit messy.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I avoid CA as much as possible and stick to the 2 part epoxy. Acroporas grow over it much quicker for some reason (for me at least) and it has a much better bond. Take the frag off the plug, put a glob of epoxy at the base, and stuff it in a crevice/hole in the aquascape.
What 2 part do you use, madweazl? I'm have a collection of all of the above and am not having much luck attaching to my very porous, uneven surfaced rock.

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the thick glue I use is that after one use and putting the cap back on it hardened. I poked the end with a toothpick and was able to use it a second time. The third time I had to drill the end and was successful but my drill bit got glue on it. The last time I used the glue I had to put a hole in the side on the tube to get the glue out. Four uses from the one tube. Does anyone else have this problem?

Mickeyt1reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thick but also cost $1.50 or less. I was actually shocked to see I'm on my last tube of super glue. The dollar trees in Canada don't sell those packs of super glue like they do in the US.

Also this appears to have posted early! 2 questions in 1 day? lol
Dollar tree in the states said it has been discontinued. sucks because it’s inexpensive and worked.

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thick for gluing frags. When gluing rock together I am waiting on some Gluemasters thin to come in and then make judgement on that. The Gluemasters thick seems to work OK for rock. Waiting to my new tank wet and cycled before I work with anymore frags.
I used the Gluemasters thin after watching a Tidal Gardens video on how to glue rocks. It worked like a charm. Be sure to use the one in the picture and some sugar fine sand as demonstrated by Tidal Gardens and you’ll be pleased. It sets up very quickly and then I applied E-Marco 400 around the newly created joint for extra measure. Be sure to wear some type of respirator. The glue is wicked and the fine sand goes airborne. I learned the hard way. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...e_super_glue_front_1088x1088.png?v=1590447860

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back