Coral ID please (LPS?)

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I purchased this this coral at the Florida Frag Swap. The seller told me its "like" a dendron, but different in that it does not multiply. He had it for a year and it did nothing. You are probably asking why buy it? Well, it has the most incredible florescent pinkish red color! I dipped it last night when I arrived home and acclimated. This morning it looks hungry and has put out tentacles like the dendro next to it I have. The tentacles are shorter and look like tentacles on a curly anemone with the whiteish squiggly lines. The seller also said it like similar light and flow as a dendron. He also said it is called something like a "ricer"?????? He did not know how to spell it and I am unable to find it on the net. Any ideas??? TIA
ID Coral Closeup Whites.jpg

Boston reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense just not spelled the way I was searching. Thank you so much. I will look it up now. Love this community!
No problem, glad I could help! Enjoy your new coral it’s sweet. I’m pretty sure they like to be fed all the time to stay happy. It’s also a nps coral so it doesn’t like to much light. Hope that helps :)

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, glad I could help! Enjoy your new coral it’s sweet. I’m pretty sure they like to be fed all the time to stay happy. It’s also a nps coral so it doesn’t like to much light. Hope that helps :)
I’ve herd that they’re pretty rare as well. I’ve never seen one in person ;)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly I just got a Rhizo as well. A few days ago. Yours looks healthier than mine. The guy I got it from is a coral importer. He said the colored ones come from Indonesia and the whiter ones are from Vietnam. These are banned from CITES FYI
287EF4FB-E202-47BC-9950-50A81880DF95.jpeg

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly I just got a Rhizo as well. A few days ago. Yours looks healthier than mine. The guy I got it from is a coral importer. He said the colored ones come from Indonesia and the whiter ones are from Vietnam. These are banned from CITES FYI
Ah they’re Indo. Explains why we don’t see very many. I’d imagine they’re quite pricey too because of the low supply and high demand.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s it. Yours looks like it’s hurting though.
It did look different at the show than today in my tank. I have fed it 3 times today but the feeder tentacles stay out all the time. Yesterday when I purchased it the tentacles were not out at all and the color was amazing. I hope mine isn’t dying...I will test my parameters tomorrow. All the other corals in the tank sure doing great so not sure that is the problem.

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think yours looks better! Definitely nicer colors. What are you feeding it? The seller told me to just broadcast feed or target feed powder coral food..

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think yours looks better! Definitely nicer colors. What are you feeding it? The seller told me to just broadcast feed or target feed powder coral food..
I posted a thread about here a few days ago. Silversides and krill was recommended. I’ve tried feeding it everything but the tentacles aren’t sticky and it doesn’t seem to take in food. The mouth is gaping but nothing goes inside. So I’m waiting awhile to feed it.

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are definitely rare and they can grow quiet large. I think the largest I’ve seen had like a 4+ inch head
I hope this one survives and grows. The seller said he had it a year and it never grew so hoping I first get it to live and then thrive. Fingers crossed and research continues!

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a thread about here a few days ago. Silversides and krill was recommended. I’ve tried feeding it everything but the tentacles aren’t sticky and it doesn’t seem to take in food. The mouth is gaping but nothing goes inside. So I’m waiting awhile to feed it.
The seller told me he target fed it or broadcast powdered coral foods, so that is what I have been doing and last night I gave it some mysis. I will try the krill. Thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back