Coral id

catfishblues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this on wwc under softies labled as a blue truffala tree but can't find anything about it online.
d4fb76b0d8488c868c47443e70bbd672.jpg

OP
OP
catfishblues

catfishblues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking. I thought maybe because the word "tree" and a little bit of the camera angle it could have been some more unique branching coral. Thanks!

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an Asterospicularia, a very uncommon genus of soft corals that entered the hobby a few months ago. If you get it you will be one of maybe 100-200 people in the world who can say that they have it. Like all octocorals they will grow fast once established and make nice propagation candidates. It'd definitely be a unique piece

Here's a link https://reefs.com/2012/05/01/asterospicularia-at-live-aquaria/

OP
OP
catfishblues

catfishblues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an Asterospicularia, a very uncommon genus of soft corals that entered the hobby a few months ago. If you get it you will be one of maybe 100-200 people in the world who can say that they have it. Like all octocorals they will grow fast once established and make nice propagation candidates. It'd definitely be a unique piece

Here's a link https://reefs.com/2012/05/01/asterospicularia-at-live-aquaria/
Dang okay I'm giving it a try! Thanks

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how it goes. I like unique soft corals but a $60 frag was a little overkill for me, especially since I didn't know how it'd look in the tank

OP
OP
catfishblues

catfishblues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was for sure steep but I've been having a hard time finding anything that's not pretty generic so I decided to pull the trigger [emoji16]
Hopefully will have some frags soon enough!

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you'll be able to manipulate coloration of fluorescence under actinics. Post pics when you get it, I'd like to see

OP
OP
catfishblues

catfishblues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also curious to how the colors will look as well as growth patterns, polyp size, and all that. I found a tiny bit online but mostly that it grew quickly like Xenia and possibly would get tall.
It arrives Saturday so I'll post then!

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also curious to how the colors will look as well as growth patterns, polyp size, and all that. I found a tiny bit online but mostly that it grew quickly like Xenia and possibly would get tall.
It arrives Saturday so I'll post then!
There are two common growth forms in the trade at the moment, a matting form similar to GSP but with taller polyps and a branching form similar to xenia and heteroxenia. Identification beyond that point usually requires examination of sclerite morphology under a microscope, but for all that matters their care should be the same. Not sure which one you will be getting, but IMO the branching one looks a lot nicer

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back