Coral lighting

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve just got my first coral it is a GSP but when I turn lights of at night it closes up and only opens when lights are on. Is this because of it being new to the tank or do I have to keep my light on 24/7 ?

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is normal. You do not need to run your lights 24/7. Your lights should reflect the same as nature, a rising and setting. You do not have to time it to actual day and night, but it should be the same duration. Hope that helps.
What kind of lights do you have?

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is normal. You do not need to run your lights 24/7. Your lights should reflect the same as nature, a rising and setting. You do not have to time it to actual day and night, but it should be the same duration. Hope that helps.
What kind of lights do you have?
It’s an aquaknight LED ( I know it’s not the best )

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny, that's the same light I started out with!
You will want to upgrade in the future, but for now, it will work as long as it lights everywhere in your tank.
Yeh it does, I do plan on upgrading in the future, I just wanna try and get an established tank first do you think the light would be good for corals like hammer, torch zoa, Xenia (most LPS) ?

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeh it does, I do plan on upgrading in the future, I just wanna try and get an established tank first do you think the light would be good for corals like hammer, torch zoa, Xenia (most LPS) ?
Not really. I upgraded to Current USA IC pro lights about 4 months after my cycle and adding my first hammer, everything has been growing under those ever since. I did add reef bright actinics about a year ago and that helped even more,a nd I still spent less than 2 AI prime lights :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
20231006_113129.jpg

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a timer plug, if your lights don't have options or settings to turn on or off
(unfamiliar with this light sorry)

Do what suits you best in regards to this, think about now... not the future, you will create an amazing aquarium if you get things right now :) :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back