Coral loss while I was away.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Taxus812
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Joined
Mar 28, 2019
Messages
716
Reaction score
789
Location
Windsor
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping you can help me understand what happened to my corals. (Still learning) I went to cape code on vacation for 4 days. While gone, two weird things happened.

1) my skimmer started acting up and effectively stoped working.
2) one of my wave pumps hung up and it also stopped spinning. As a result my phosphates went to .17 and my nitrates jumped to 16 and I had small spots of Cyano on the sandbed.

Ph stayed at 8.0 and alk was low but at 7.0 dkh (normally 7.5ish) , Cal 450, mag 1450

I found two corals seemed to dye off quite rapidly. They were happy before leaving.

Could the lower flow or the increase of nitrates have caused the die off ?

83a7860e8f80e5469967aad84a301996.jpg


6513a2d8de23ed908bed4d2cf933b95b.jpg


Once again your help is appreciated. The loss is unfortunate but a good opportunity to understand how it all works.
 
Those nitrates arent high and neigtr are the phosphates. My tank is at like 10-20 ppm nitrates and .5 phosphates and i hsve a bost load of sps.

I think it was the flow.. and your alk is kimda low to me.. i keep mine at 8-9
 
Fyi those corals arent dead.. the polyps are on the birds nest and the chalice is still alive.

Id break off the dead parts on the chalice. And get fpow back on them both
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new