coral nipping file fish??

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so who out there has had a File fish for apastia actually nipped at the corals?
Thanks !

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does big time. Goes after almost every coral I have. Sps, and lps. Has not touched the zoas or yumas. Actually getting rid of mine. To add to the issue the filefish completely ignored the aiptasia.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. I forgot the forum is full of Apastia related threads & posts today.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 filefish. One is a model citizen but one went after my Duncan coral and a torch. I caught him red-handed. So he relocated to the sump. I guess they can have different personalities like us. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing ! Any more out there ?

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of bad reports for file file fish. My next choice would be a peppermint shrimp. I don't want a peppermint I want a cleaner shrimp. it would go into a 75 dedicated for small peaceful fish . No wrasses at least not one big enough to kill the shrimp. I'm looking for a long term critter that will take care of the few I have now & any future apasita that pop up .
any good news out there?

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of bad reports for file file fish. My next choice would be a peppermint shrimp. I don't want a peppermint I want a cleaner shrimp. it would go into a 75 dedicated for small peaceful fish . No wrasses at least not one big enough to kill the shrimp. I'm looking for a long term critter that will take care of the few I have now & any future apasita that pop up .
any good news out there?

Get u some Berghia bro. They work fantastic and only eat Aptasia. Trust me I was super skeptical for I have ridiculous amount of Zoa’s but no issues at all and aptasia is disappearing as we speak

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MichaelNaegeli, This needs to be long term. The nudibranch needs rehomed & does no go for future apastia .
Also know from experience they don't give a hoot about these devil apastia.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MichaelNaegeli, This needs to be long term. The nudibranch needs rehomed & does no go for future apastia .
Berghia reproduce just like Zoa eating Nudi’s. Sure if they eridacate all Aptasia could starve.. with that said, they will show up on glass when lack of Aptasia so u can pick out some and re sell or give to fellow Reefer in need. This is a long term solution for me. I feed pretty heavy and constantly have new Aptasia pop up. Thus feeding the Berghia and keeping them healthy long term.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any good news out there?

I purchased six peppermint shrimp for my infestation. One was immediately killed by my very large banded shrimp. The rest have survived and nearly killed every aiptasia. Very successful addition for me.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll tell you what @cracker. When I have some extra show up on glass I’ll just give you five or so. You will quickly change ur mind on them I’m sure. I put them in 3 systems plus my refugium and I’ll always take this route. File fish can be a nightmare especially on Zoa’s. Peppermint some won’t even touch an Aptasia in a year of having. Copperband. I cannot comment for never had one.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why Thank You Sir ! We are not that far away from each other .I'm in Jax . I'll gladly take You up on the offer I thank You while I'm doing it !
So since we last spoke I went to the lfs. They had the sorryest, unhealthy , terrible color,tiny peppermints. The guy said he could order some some nudis for me .
This is crazy ! finding anything that will eat these pests & leave the corals alone .
all being said, I'm not overrun with them"yet". Just a few I can see which I quickly shoot them with kalk paste. How ever there has to be more !

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why Thank You Sir ! We are not that far away from each other .I'm in Jax . I'll gladly take You up on the offer I thank You while I'm doing it !
So since we last spoke I went to the lfs. They had the sorryest, unhealthy , terrible color,tiny peppermints. The guy said he could order some some nudis for me .
This is crazy ! finding anything that will eat these pests & leave the corals alone .
all being said, I'm not overrun with them"yet". Just a few I can see which I quickly shoot them with kalk paste. How ever there has to be more !
I will surely help a brotha out. I too used bunches of kalk paste and Aptasia x. Just kept getting more and more of a bad chore. I stopped totally when I let a lil kalk drift land on a jellybean Chalice and toasted it completely. Be careful. Thought I was but the more u do it the less careful u are and that just becomes no fun. Berghia date awesome man. I would never go another route personally. I’ll lyk when mine get catchable on glass and start rounded up some for ya

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to chime in, grabbed two of them for my tank. And one went for corals big time, didnt kill but nipped at my , Scolly's, acans, zoas and even picked at my two chalics. Caught him fairly easy with some chunky food and my tongs.

U

User1

View Badges
Matted file fish here. Nipped LPS Hammers, misc zoas, and Xenia. Left RBTA, green button polyps, Kenya tree, and blue clove polyps alone.

Finished off Aptasia easy enough. Hammers grew faster and had already established so it didn't really hurt them much but I did notice it nipping from time to time. The mixed bag of zoas I had it cleared out. I had this fish for about three years. Loved it and it was something someone would comment on. The color change and personality. However, one day I introduced a Xenia frag and it went right for it. Had it been established or able to recover / grow faster than it would nip I may have kept it. Be that has it may I needed the Xenia to mature a bit so I returned it to the fish store for something else.

Fish is still being swapped around today believe it or not since it is a 100% guarantee shot to eat all Aptasia :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back