Coral noob- aquacultured??

g.knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, R2R!

Back with another noob question. I’ll start off by saying I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, but I couldn’t find the answer if it has been. Just getting my first beginner corals and selecting them from Livesquaria.com. I see that many of their corals are listed as “aquacultured” and that those corals are usually cheaper. What is the meaning of aquacultured in this sense and why is it cheaper?

My rule of thumb is that cheaper usually means crappier, but I’m always up for saving money if it’s a good product!

Thanks in advance once again!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In layman's terms it means they are from a large aquarium not the ocean. Aquarium might be the wrong choice of words but you get the idea.

Large companies have huge grow operations that aquaculture corals....Or grow corals.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquacultured means they are raised in captivity, usually land based, like in a warehouse type setting or even someone's basement. Basically fragmented from mother colonies and grown out to a marketable size. Mariculture is simlilar but grown in the sea at certain sites. Wild caught is just that, harvested directly from the ocean with no "farming" involved.

Aquacultured can be considered better for aquariums because they have adapted to aquarium life.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO aquacultured corals are hardier than wild corals

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, R2R!

Back with another noob question. I’ll start off by saying I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, but I couldn’t find the answer if it has been. Just getting my first beginner corals and selecting them from Livesquaria.com. I see that many of their corals are listed as “aquacultured” and that those corals are usually cheaper. What is the meaning of aquacultured in this sense and why is it cheaper?

My rule of thumb is that cheaper usually means crappier, but I’m always up for saving money if it’s a good product!

Thanks in advance once again!
It is not wild caught. It is cultured in an aquarium setting. You will also see the word mariculture used occasionally.. mariculture is when it’s being grown/cultured in an ocean setting, ie. not naturally occurring there.

OP
OP
g.knight

g.knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gah, you guys on R2R rock! Aquacultured sounds good to me now! Thanks!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back