Coral not growing & looking bad

1Matthew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral has been doing really bad as of lately. Some have bleached and others have died. As for the past year I haven’t had many fish only 1 clown in a 60 gallon. The nitrates have been at 0 for the pst couple months and everything else seems pretty normal. I haven’t changed my lighting in a very long time so I don’t think that is the reason. My mushrooms have died, my trumpets shriveled, and my lobo is receding. Would getting some more fish help? What could fix this?

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post all of your parameters as well as test kits. 0 nitrate would be a reasonable cause. Feed more or dose amino acids.

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More fish just means more DOC/DOS. Same with food. Test your water. If not using rodi, I would guess contaminants via ammonia and phosphates.

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More fish just means more DOC/DOS. Same with food. Test your water. If not using rodi, I would guess contaminants via ammonia and phosphates.

Corals won't shrivel up from high phosphates, especially softies. Phosphate is more of an issue with slower growth and more brittle skeletons. Also, ammonia would not be likely since the op has 1 clownfish.

Last edited:

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidently missed where you said one clown. I am 99% confident it is a lack of nitrate and possibly phosphate. That is just way too little fish for that size tank if you aren't given corals daily food supplies of the exact type of food they can eat.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates should be higher. What are your other water parameters? (Out of curiosity, what do you test for regularly and how often?) Here's some videos you might find informative:

Forest Rohwer "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates should be higher. What are your other water parameters? (Out of curiosity, what do you test for regularly and how often?) Here's some videos you might find informative:

Forest Rohwer "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

0.2 phosphate is high and should not be higher.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.2 phosphate is high and should not be higher.
. . . my phosphates are 0.02 . . .

@AutumnReefs, 1Mathew said his phospahtes are at .02, not .2. Just FYI but .2 mg/l PO4 is what occurs naturally with upwelling. Research done at Southampton University in England over several years with a typical low nutrient system identified a threashold level of .03 mg/l PO4 to prevent phosphate deficiency in corals. Here's a quote by J. E. N. Veron and some links for those interested in reading more about phosphorus on reef systems:

"Imported nutrients are usually transported to reefs from rivers; but if there are no rivers, as with reefs remote from land masses, nutrients can only come from surface ocean circulation. Often this supply is poor, and thus the vast ocean expanses have been refered to as "nutrient deserts". The Indo-Pacific has many huge atolls in these supposed deserts which testify to the resilience of reefs, but the corals themselves may lack the lush appearance of those of more fertile waters. Many reefs have another major supply of inorganic nutrients as, under certain conditions, surface currents moving against a reef face may cause deep ocean water to be drawn to the surface. This "upwelled" water is often rich in phosphorus (.2 mg/l) and other essential chemicals." J. E. N. Veron "Corals of Austrailia and the Indo-Pacific" pg 30

An Experimental Mesocosm for Longterm Studies of Reef Corals

Phosphate Deficiency:
Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:

Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

Effects of phosphate on growth and skeletal density in the scleractinian coral Acropora muricata: A controlled experimental approach

High phosphate uptake requirements of the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata

Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back