Coral Only Reef tanks

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone keep a coral only reef tank? It seems to me that it would make reef care, feeding and maintenance a lot easier. What are your thoughts?

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kids love the fish, I love the coral, so all my tanks have both and I find fish to be good tour guides, and efficient nitrate producers.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd have to feed the corals a lot to make up for the lack of fish waste products. You would also not have the benefits of fish that eat algae, pests, etc.

It is possible, but given that the fish actually help the corals, plus are fun to watch, it is not very common.

OP
OP
Grey Guy

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A DT with no fish in it looks like downtown streets on an early Sunday morning....quiet, abandoned and no signs of movement/life
When the wind is blowing there is lots of movement. I’ll admit that an
lps tank might look kind of static, without any fish.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run some propagation systems where I didn't want fish per say but I always found that some tangs for algae control, a copper band for aiptasia and a wrasse to eat various parasites were welcome.

Fish are your friends.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others mentioned, nutrients. You’d have to test for nitrates and phosphates and dose them to keep enough in the water column. But other things to worry about are the things that salt can’t give like amino acids, vitamins and so forth. Fish food and poop provide a lot of the things they need but you’d need to get around that without fish. Perhaps having inverts like shrimps will allow you to feed the tank and provide the corals what they need.

Gqch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
colorful fishs are part of the reef, they adding movement to the reef tank. also fish wastes(nutriens) are very important to corals health especially soft corals and some lps coral.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I view this sort of the same as using dry rock instead of live rock. A reef tank just isn’t a reef tank without fish, just like it isn’t a reef tank without all the microfauna and biodiversity that comes with live rock.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 4 fish in a 90. Kinda thinking I won’t be adding any more. 2 clowns, a tomini and a fridmani. Definitely light on fish.
You and I, are kin lol....I have 5 ( Yellow Tang, Ocellaris, Three Stripe Damsel, all of them 18 years, and Coral Beauty , Eibli Angels), in my 90 for many years, I could add more but............it works as created. I don't want to mess with the balance. But definitely OP you need a fish or two imo......

OP
OP
Grey Guy

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am totally flabbergasted. The last time I was here over 2 years ago, I don’t remember any talk about the necessity of phosphates and nitrates for coral growth. Now it is a big thing to be so concerned about. Is this just another passing trend or a major break through in coral care. When did this idea start? I know that plant life and algae thrive on nitrate but I don’t see how this applies to other living organisms. Is it the symbiotic bacteria in the coral that is now eating fish poop?
Maybe the human race will learn to do the same.

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am totally flabbergasted. The last time I was here over 2 years ago, I don’t remember any talk about the necessity of phosphates and nitrates for coral growth. Now it is a big thing to be so concerned about. Is this just another passing trend or a major break through in coral care. When did this idea start?
Phosphates and nitrates are a nutrient like many other things. They just need to be in balance in your tank so you don't bottom out and don't go too high for excessive algae growth or other problems.

OP
OP
Grey Guy

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates and nitrates are a nutrient like many other things. They just need to be in balance in your tank so you don't bottom out and don't go too high for excessive algae growth or other problems.
Where can I find the science and research for this? I am ready to learn. I have to know why things work the way they do.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept a lot of coral propagation tanks (100 - 1k gallons), but always use at least 1 herbivore and something for aiptasia (usually raccoon or CBB). I'm not sure why everyone is jumping on the nutrient dosing bandwagon, either. IMO, it isn't necessary at all. Had 10 or so of these tables, some are 15+ years old with 2 fish in each, and the corals did just fine.

DSC_0001 copy.jpg

damicornis.JPG

ahyacinthus.JPG

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back