Coral quarantine tank

boxgj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon reef and I’m currently building a 10 gallon coral quarantine tank (just corals only) I want to control it with the apex using a ph and temp probe through a pm1 module. Could a kessil a360x would be a good light to use with it or should I get something different?

scolson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running a360x on a 40 breeder. I find that I have to run it turned down to 20% or so and there is a lot of light spill. I think it would be way to much light on a 10. But I don't know what else to recommend.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, QT tanks for coral are unnecessary and damaging to the coral. Especially since they just got shipped across the country. (Assuming you bought them online)

Why not just add them straight to your display tank?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO, QT tanks for coral are unnecessary and damaging to the coral. Especially since they just got shipped across the country. (Assuming you bought them online)

They could have pest eggs. So, to prevent a loss of very hard work. A coral qt is set up to watch and observe. It matches the display tanks water parameters.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe but maybe not,imo its same as qt or not qt fish,we take risk if dont.
I bought this lobo from a lfs near me and dipped/inspected it but didnt notice nothing and after about 1 month of owning lobo i moved onto rockwork yesterday then noticed critters inside the lobo and looks like something has bored holes into it ,
Now i dont think got problem at moment and lobo seems to be doing ok but imagine if it was a pest that only eats lps corals and i had nice beautiful expensive £ 500 torch's/acans/blastos etc but even cheap torches like i got at £ 45 each if have 20 lps like this thats £ 900 right there and could just eat/damage everything you put in tank.
I get what you saying though and i decided not to qt cuc/inverts/corals as was worried about light and flow in a small tank ( could of been done and just give coral little less light than needed just to keep alive but was concern for me anyhow

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wish I knew the best light for a 10g coral qt. I would guess you can use that light. Hopefully you have a par meter to adjust light settings.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I think you confused it with acclimation. Thats usually pretty stressful on coral. Which I don't like to do.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you confused it with acclimation. Thats usually pretty stressful on coral. Which I don't like to do.
Unless your coral QT tank and display tank have the same exact water chemistry and lighting schedule, I wouldn’t.

What’s the point in doing so?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe but maybe not,imo its same as qt or not qt fish,we take risk if dont.
I bought this lobo from a lfs near me and dipped/inspected it but didnt notice nothing and after about 1 month of owning lobo i moved onto rockwork yesterday then noticed critters inside the lobo and looks like something has bored holes into it ,
Now i dont think got problem at moment and lobo seems to be doing ok but imagine if it was a pest that only eats lps corals and i had nice beautiful expensive £ 500 torch's/acans/blastos etc but even cheap torches like i got at £ 45 each if have 20 lps like this thats £ 900 right there and could just eat/damage everything you put in tank.
I get what you saying though and i decided not to qt cuc/inverts/corals as was worried about light and flow in a small tank ( could of been done and just give coral little less light than needed just to keep alive but was concern for me anyhow

Sorry to hear that.

Again, this is just my humble opinion. I try not to bring up quarantining too much on here, because a lot of members are very... passionate about it. ;)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why would they be damaging? It is literally just a tank.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon reef and I’m currently building a 10 gallon coral quarantine tank (just corals only) I want to control it with the apex using a ph and temp probe through a pm1 module. Could a kessil a360x would be a good light to use with it or should I get something different?

An h80 or a160we would be fine on a 10 gallon. You could even go with a cheaper light since its so small.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that.

Again, this is just my humble opinion. I try not to bring up quarantining too much on here, because a lot of members are very... passionate about it. ;)
No need be sorry buddy,i dont think i actually got a problem ( just stating that it could of been or might still be,only time will tell ^_^ ) but i dont qt corals ,my plan was to qt everything going in my tank but after reading lots i took what i think i needed and adapted it way i thought would suit me best and left the rest with option to use in future if i choose ( what you say about some being passionate,your dang right and i also try keep put the qt threads as can get out of hand real fast ( i often think they pointless) but if miss out all the bashing and people jumping on high horses i do actual continue to learn things reef related as im very early on in my saltwater journey and even though i don't qt corals i can see benefit in it especially if can lose lots money and kill lots things and cause sadness to ourselves but like anything in life ,we all our own masters ^_^

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unless your coral QT tank and display tank have the same exact water chemistry and lighting schedule, I wouldn’t.

What’s the point in doing so?
It should match. But, it's not the same as fish quarantine. Hypo will kill coral. Anyhow, you can decide what you like. I'm still too dumb to run a coral qt. I'll regret it eventually.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should match. But, it's not the same as fish quarantine. Hypo will kill coral. Anyhow, you can decide what you like. I'm still too dumb to run a coral qt. I'll regret it eventually.
Only things I would worry about are pests, but that’s why you dip. I also never QT a because I trust the venders I buy from.

If it was some random dude off of eBay? Then yes, I would definitely want to QT.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only things I would worry about are pests, but that’s why you dip. I also never QT a because I trust the venders I buy from.

If it was some random dude off of eBay? Then yes, I would definitely want to QT.
Eggs don't come off with dip. You and I don't have a lot to lose. Some of these guys... Their tanks are worth a new car.
We can chill , sit back.. And make our own stresses :)

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an a160 tuna blue over my 29 gallon cube. Torches, hammer, acans, duncans, softies seem to do well and have grown. I have a montipora and birdsnest that have gotten bigger, but their color leaves a lot to be desired. So that should work well over a 10gallon.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eggs don't come off with dip. You and I don't have a lot to lose. Some of these guys... Their tanks are worth a new car.
We can chill , sit back.. And make our own stresses :)

Aiptasia, ich, vermatids, etc. also do not come off with a dip

OP
OP
B

boxgj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just read everyone's comments and i appreciate the responses. im new to this hobby and after doing two years worth of research between listening events, reading on forums and articles to youtube videos, i decided i wanted to quarantine my corals because of the main issue lots of people deal with now and days which is pest/hitchhikers. i rather catch it in the ten gallon then in my 50 gallon display where it would hide all in between the rocks and the sand

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using an AI Prime for my 10g coral QT and my sps have been thriving, so I would say a Kessil A360X is more than enough.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back