Coral quarantine

Stephanie85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that quarantine your coral, what’s the time frame you follow? Do you qt the recommended 76 days? Or do you think that 45 is sufficient? I know there was one strain of ich that was found to have lived for 72 days or something but there is some controversy with that. Have you had any issues with your quarantine protocol, whichever you follow? My fish are strictly quarantined and prophylactically treated so i don’t want to introduce anything to my tank but I really want to add my corals.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that quarantine your coral, what’s the time frame you follow? Do you qt the recommended 76 days? Or do you think that 45 is sufficient? I know there was one strain of ich that was found to have lived for 72 days or something but there is some controversy with that. Have you had any issues with your quarantine protocol, whichever you follow? My fish are strictly quarantined and prophylactically treated so i don’t want to introduce anything to my tank but I really want to add my corals.
If your doing it to prevent fish disease than I would do the full 76 days, you can do much less if coral pest are your main concern but 76 days is really the best way to guarantee no diseases and make the chances of a coral pest not presenting itself in that timeframe are very very low. Here is a great article about it that goes into greater detail. https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/how-to-quarantine-coral-and-inverts.228/

From the fish disease side of things you can just keep track of the dates for the individual pieces and keep adding new corals without needing to reset the clock since you're just trying to wait out the cyst that could be on the plug or skeleton. From a coral pest perspective that won't work though as adding one new piece could infect the other pieces- 76 days without any new additions is the safest for both.

Hope this helps!

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Coral QT, I do the full 76 days just in case. You can never be too careful. My tank has a lot of sensitive fish that are prone to ich (Powder blue, brown, hippo, achilles) so waiting the full 76 days is the best option for me.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals are usually quarantine 3 months or longer... usually longer because I'm lazy and can't make up my mind where to out then in the main tank, lol.

But, I will say that I placed a small rock from a LFS into my coral quarantine tank for a little diversity and it introduced bubble algae into the QT! I liked it quickly on the rock with removal and peroxide...but, months later, I still find a bubble or 2 on a coral plug! So, glad i didn't put those corals in the main tank sooner!

OP
OP
S

Stephanie85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Coral QT, I do the full 76 days just in case. You can never be too careful. My tank has a lot of sensitive fish that are prone to ich (Powder blue, brown, hippo, achilles) so waiting the full 76 days is the best option for me.

My tangs are the reason I’ll stick to the full 76 days. I know there is currently nothing in my tank and don’t really want to introduce anything. It’s just tough watching the corals in quarantine, I want to enjoy them in the display tank already. Thank you! They’re about 30 days from the 76, I think I can tough it out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back