OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Wisconsin and in the same boat. UPS has now updated my shipping info to where my package will arrive Monday. Its currently sitting less than 60 miles from my house. I spent all afternoon trying to arrange to go and pick it up. The best I got was to pick it up at the next hub tomorrow morning. After spending hours on the phone and getting no where I'd definitely like to knock a few heads together. They just don't care. I didn't even get anywhere until I walked into the nearest shipping hub and started asking questions.

This was my first online experience and I must say the vendor I'm extremely happy with. UPS can pound sand and is making me question if I'll ever try again.
Sounds exactly like my situation except more like 400+ miles lol. But this was my first time ordering online and was a wonderful experience with the vendor but UPS is just ruining it.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds exactly like my situation except more like 400+ miles lol. But this was my first time ordering online and was a wonderful experience with the vendor but UPS is just ruining it.
Exactly. But I don't understand why UPS is telling me I'll get my shipment Monday when its literally an hour away. When I asked about it, they said "weather delays." Its quite literally sunny and clear skies in Wisconsin today.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is their fault - you can't just have a blanket policy saying you will not be responsible shipping delays.
They should know the routes that UPS or FedEx use to get the animals to people and monitor them - both in the winter and summer.
One of my LFS won't order from their wholesalers if the weather is sketchy because they can lose an entire shipment with no recourse.
It sounds like ordering from these wholesalers have the same disclaimer and no recourse. Tough for vendors to play weatherman and UPS scheduler for sure, and I feel for them.

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. But I don't understand why UPS is telling me I'll get my shipment Monday when its literally an hour away. When I asked about it, they said "weather delays." Its quite literally sunny and clear skies in Wisconsin today.
Having worked for FedEx many years ago (even earning a pension) I can say that when the main hub of UPS is in Louisville and the state is frozen with ice, it's gonna cause delays. Ice does not mix well with the southern US and it can cause massive issues. I can tell you that in Northern TN, near the KY line, it is iced over pretty good so I imagine it is an issue on Louisville. This is going to affect the entire system, even if it's an hour away.

I know that is no comfort, but blame the ice and aircraft.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having worked for FedEx many years ago (even earning a pension) I can say that when the main hub of UPS is in Louisville and the state is frozen with ice, it's gonna cause delays. Ice does not mix well with the southern US and it can cause massive issues. I can tell you that in Northern TN, near the KY line, it is iced over pretty good so I imagine it is an issue on Louisville. This is going to affect the entire system, even if it's an hour away.

I know that is no comfort, but blame the ice and aircraft.
I 100% am understanding of that. But its the fact that my package is in Wisconsin, no where near inclimate weather. That's what I have trouble understanding. Yet they say they won't get it to me until Monday let alone let me pick it up. If the weather was bad I could understand but there is no weather.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When freight gets backed up it's like a sewer system that starts leaking into the street. Trying to move freight around in a werehouse full of stinking boxes filled with frozen dead stuff doesn't help the workers move the freight any faster. If your box is already late, they may set it aside til Monday and push through the fresh ones that may arrive on-time instead of delaying those and expanding their service problem. The Monday morning crew will be stuck cleaning up the dock and scrubbing down the trucks and street when they come in. It's also Presidents Day, so maybe Tuesday deliveries and things will be caught up?

rudysmallfry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the bonehead mistake of ordering from a place in CA to CT. Should have known 1 day shipping would not be possible. Mine were shipped 0900 on Monday and got into my hands noon on Wednesday. Water was quite cold, but luckily the heat packs in the container did there job, so they were nowhere near freezing. I opened all the bags to get them air, put them all in the same container with their own water. The water was almost 10 degrees lower than my tank, so I did a very slow drip to bring the temp up. I added the dip when the temp was almost equalized and then rinsed them off and put them in the bottom of my tank. I was happy to see them all open and actually looking pretty good within the first hour, so I think they can take more shipping stress than I thought. Hopefully yours will be fine too.

LiveRockmia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in miami and have 3k in torches currently delayed. No updates other than it is in transit. Was shipped overnight yesterday and I didn't get it today. The online vendor is offering to refund half of the $3,000 even though their website policy states that they are not responsible for shipping delays. Are they being reasonable? Or am I entitled to a refund. Assuming the corals don't arrive. Thanks in advance

Natedogg1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ASD order came in this morning. It was cold and everything was PO.
Looks like the acan will pull through. Goni is TBD, and Beach bum monti does not look good.
I emailed ASD basically that info, and they responded to let them know if anything does not make it, and that they are extending the DOA guarantee for a week.
My ASD order came in this morning. It was cold and everything was PO.
Looks like the acan will pull through. Goni is TBD, and Beach bum monti does not look good.
I emailed ASD basically that info, and they responded to let them know if anything does not make it, and that they are extending the DOA guarantee for

My Thursday am delivery made it today at 7pm. Unfortunately I’m in the same boat as you, but with AquaSD’s service and Email assurance and communication I am confident that they will turn the situation around.

Toxic birds nest DOA
Rasta Tenuis. DOA
Pika Pikachu. DOA
Super Cadillac acro DOA
ASD Bali Shortcake DOA
ASD Fruity Pebbles DOA (they all hurt, but this one I was especially excited for)
Ultra Aussie Blasto (lower tissue recession, but should pull through)
ORA purple stylo DOA
ASD Lava Lamp chalice -questionable
Bling Bling cyphastrea -questionable
ASD Green Star polyps -questionable
Freebie (think also a chalice) -questionable

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that just hurts to see. I was so excited for my first online order and large order... not so much anymore. But as you stated I am assured they’ll take care of it for us

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm in Wisconsin and in the same boat. UPS has now updated my shipping info to where my package will arrive Monday. Its currently sitting less than 60 miles from my house. I spent all afternoon trying to arrange to go and pick it up. The best I got was to pick it up at the next hub tomorrow morning. After spending hours on the phone and getting no where I'd definitely like to knock a few heads together. They just don't care. I didn't even get anywhere until I walked into the nearest shipping hub and started asking questions.

This was my first online experience and I must say the vendor I'm extremely happy with. UPS can pound sand and is making me question if I'll ever try again.
UOS and USPS has this belief that as long as they make delivery- they did their job
These boxes are coded as express overnight- Monday is not overnight .......
And they do this as nature of business ??????

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in miami and have 3k in torches currently delayed. No updates other than it is in transit. Was shipped overnight yesterday and I didn't get it today. The online vendor is offering to refund half of the $3,000 even though their website policy states that they are not responsible for shipping delays. Are they being reasonable? Or am I entitled to a refund. Assuming the corals don't arrive. Thanks in advance
IMO it’s not reasonable but you have to look at it from their side too. I don’t know who you ordered it through but especially if it’s a smaller company that is a lot of money to lose on their side. And if their policy states that not much you can do :/

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UOS and USPS has this belief that as long as they make delivery- they did their job
These boxes are coded as express overnight- Monday is not overnight .......
And they do this as nature of business ??????
Basically. They’re still getting paid. Heck, they’ll get paid twice when they have to resend corals. All these boxes are just money to them... nothing else.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it’s not reasonable but you have to look at it from their side too. I don’t know who you ordered it through but especially if it’s a smaller company that is a lot of money to lose on their side. And if their policy states that not much you can do :/
Can they not put insurance on these orders i mean 3k is a lot and the shipping is just sad I know where I work i don't go home unless my job is done mechanic sometimes 16 hour days god forbid they could put some overtime in and get the overnight shipping at least handled

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can they not put insurance on these orders i mean 3k is a lot and the shipping is just sad I know where I work i don't go home unless my job is done mechanic sometimes 16 hour days god forbid they could put some overtime in and get the overnight shipping at least handled
UPS actually announced (I think back in March of last year) there’s no way to get insurance, they won’t insure anything, and won’t guarantee anything because of ‘COVID’, AKA a reason for them to collect more $$$ in their pockets. Totally agree with you that that is a ton of money and there’s gotta be something

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my own business for 35 years and have shipped my product all over the country.
The first thing I had to figure out is how to get my product to my customer safely.
Nobody wants to open a box to a broken "whatever".

These on-line coral vendors are in the business of growing corals and shipping corals.

As someone posted in this thread, some vendors have postponed shipping for weeks because of the weather.

Because almost all of the corals and fish are shipped overnight there is plenty of technology to determine if it is reasonable to ship them based on the weather projections.

These vendors protect themselves with their shipping policies - but where is the protection for the consumer?

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These vendors protect themselves with their shipping policies - but where is the protection for the consumer?
Couldn’t have said it better. It’s sad. Thank goodness my vendor has emailed and called me and guaranteed they would “take care of me” and even went as far to say that it won’t look good when it comes in

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS actually announced (I think back in March of last year) there’s no way to get insurance, they won’t insure anything, and won’t guarantee anything because of ‘COVID’, AKA a reason for them to collect more $$$ in their pockets. Totally agree with you that that is a ton of money and there’s gotta be something
UPS is not offering insurance for coral and fish shipments?
I only ship UPS and I insure everything I ship.
I have had no issues purchasing the insurance from UPS.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS is not offering insurance for coral and fish shipments?
I only ship UPS and I insure everything I ship.
I have had no issues purchasing the insurance from UPS.
Just looked it up. You are correct. I was misinformed, don’t know where I saw it. I apologize

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just calculated on the UPS website to insure one of my designs for a $1000 costs $12.
Now, I don't know what UPS or FedEx's policies are with live animals - they may not be able to insure them because of the risk.

Back