Coral shipment delayed - what do I do?

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how they look after they get acclimated!
I'm still fairly new to corals so I'm having a hard time figuring out what's dead and not. One bag was suuuper cloudy. I can assume that was dead.. And one other acro is reallly white and doesn't appear to have any flesh on it. Otherwise most still look like they are hanging on. I can still see the tips of my torches and on a few goni's as well. I'm praying..

prayer GIF

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still fairly new to corals so I'm having a hard time figuring out what's dead and not. One bag was suuuper cloudy. I can assume that was dead.. And one other acro is reallly white and doesn't appear to have any flesh on it. Otherwise most still look like they are hanging on. I can still see the tips of my torches and on a few goni's as well. I'm praying..

prayer GIF
I feel you man. I’m new too and this is my first online shipment. I’m trying to keep my hopes up but... 5 days in this. It’s gonna all be gone, maybe some zoas will pull through

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in miami and have 3k in torches currently delayed. No updates other than it is in transit. Was shipped overnight yesterday and I didn't get it today. The online vendor is offering to refund half of the $3,000 even though their website policy states that they are not responsible for shipping delays. Are they being reasonable? Or am I entitled to a refund. Assuming the corals don't arrive. Thanks in advance

IMO it’s not reasonable but you have to look at it from their side too. I don’t know who you ordered it through but especially if it’s a smaller company that is a lot of money to lose on their side. And if their policy states that not much you can do :/

It's a negligent decision on their part to ship the corals knowing there is a substantial risk the corals will die. This weather pattern has been known all week. As someone posted above, another vendor made the wise decision to hold off shipping until the weather warms.

I would accept nothing less than a full replacement of the dead corals. If they refuse, file in small claims court arguing negligence as I described above. (Send them a copy of the completed small claim prior to filing and give them one last chance). The judge will most likely side with you and the filing fee is probably only ~$150.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a negligent decision on their part to ship the corals knowing there is a substantial risk the corals will die. This weather pattern has been known all week. As someone posted above, another vendor made the wise decision to hold off shipping until the weather warms.

I would accept nothing less than a full replacement of the dead corals. If they refuse, file in small claims court arguing negligence as I described above. (Send them a copy of the completed small claim prior to filing and give them one last chance). The judge will most likely side with you and the filing fee is probably only ~$150.
My vendor as already stated they will extend their DOA with however long it’s delayed and “take care of me.” That was a huge relief when they said that

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thankfully, this doesn’t seem to be an issue for OP, but why would you go to small claims when you could just file a charge back?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I ordered one shipment from Ontario (which is several thousand kilometres away from me) in December. It was delayed for five days because, pandemic, but I only lost one bag of coral (the rest were mushrooms). And while December was pretty mild here, it still went below -20C at night. I know that you're in a much different position, and some 'shroom frags are hardly in the same league, but hope springs eternal! I will say that mushrooms are awesomely hardy.

And one of the dead frags (cyphastrea) later sprouted some zoanthids, so be sure that everything is dead before throwing it out!

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully, this doesn’t seem to be an issue for OP, but why would you go to small claims when you could just file a charge back?
I'd file a charge back too. But less likely to succeed if the vendor has a policy addressing delays in shipment. Charge backs are more for breach of contract and not really common law negligence.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I ordered one shipment from Ontario (which is several thousand kilometres away from me) in December. It was delayed for five days because, pandemic, but I only lost one bag of coral (the rest were mushrooms). And while December was pretty mild here, it still went below -20C at night.

And one of the dead frags (cyphastrea) later sprouted some zoanthids, so be sure that everything is dead before throwing it out!
Well that gives me some hope :) thank you for sharing you experience.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing some research on Fed Ex's website, interesting about live animal shipping

A. FedEx Express does not accept live-animal shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service and does not transport household pets such as dogs, cats, birds and hamsters. FedEx Express may accept certain shipments of live animals such as horses, livestock and zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) on an exception basis if approved and coordinated by the FedEx Animal Desk (call 1.800.405.9052).

If approved by FedEx, we may accept non-venomous reptiles, amphibians, live/tropical fish and beneficial insects on an exception basis under the following conditions:

1. Shipments must be from a business to a business (from a breeder to a pet store, for example).

2. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped. Call 1.800.633.7019 for assistance. It is the responsibility of the shipper to adequately package shipments for all temperature extremes and handling conditions.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a box of fish and corals get stuck in a ups sort facility thursday it finally arrived yesterday at 9pm so it was over 48 hours in the box the corals made it but 4 of the 7 fish were doa and the others are doin ok so far

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...my shipment arrived here in Florida. Was supposed to be delivered Thursday 11 Feb. Walt Disney and Pikachu acros bit the dust and completely bleached. Expected this, but glad the vendor is going to take care of me. Already sent the pics and waiting for a reply.

The bagged water was at 58 degrees F. Sad day :(

Hope others have better luck.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cross fingers...there is still tissue on some of those frags.
Yes, a few still do. But do you Think the torches will make it? These are my first torches after dreaming of them for months. The "single head" black light torch is actually a single head almost completely split into three.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a few still do. But do you Think the torches will make it? These are my first torches after dreaming of them for months. The "single head" black light torch is actually a single head almost completely split into three.
I haven't had much experience with torches. but assume they would act like a hammer. As long as the head tissue doesn't bail they have a chance. I actually cut a hammer in half by accident, gently glued the head together and it survived. Sometime even the dead center will come back with babies.

LiveRockmia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less then 24 hrs now for me o_O
I’m nervous to see if anything makes it but excited nonetheless that it’s finally getting to me
I'm in the same boat on a delivery that was supposed to land Friday morning. Let's see how these torches look after Mondays delivery. Am I silly to think a torch can survive this 72+ hour journey?

Back