Coral Shows, aka "Frag Swaps" & Misinformation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past weekend I attended Reefapalooza NY. There were tons of vendors, some speakers, and thousands of hobbyists attended.

Every year it's really a fun time and great to see so many of our regular customers and so many of my fellow vendors I've known for decades. The majority of vendors are just like me, enjoying the event and showcasing their products, unfortunately others have different methods. While most hobbyists are quite savvy and have a good BS detector, there is so much misrepresentation that goes on at these events.

I walk around all the vendor booths and check out their wares. From the standpoint of corals, it's all pretty much the same. Each year there are more high-priced Euphyllia and mushrooms. The market can really only take so much! Many vendors have insanely high prices for anything slightly out of the ordinary or anything really colorful. By the end of the show much of that is still sitting there. Many other vendors offer non-photosynthetic animals that they sell cheap, are usually very colorful, and also totally unethical to sell to the average hobbyists that will kill them within the month.

Then there are vendors that just flat out lie to customers. That's right, I said it! Standing at their booths some vendors will say anything to sell and some customers will buy it. Each year there are returning vendors to these events but also many new ones. Since last year's event was not profitable for many vendors there was a much larger crop of new vendors this year than in previous years. Every one trying for that grand slam in sales and most never achieving it, but doing whatever means necessary to try.

Let's take clams for example. I always bring lots of clams to sell at this event. This year I brought 200 and sold about 125. Several other vendors had some clams for sale. A few had wild collected Tahiti clams, but decided it was best to misrepresent them as cultured. Having set up the clam farm in Tahiti about 15 years ago and collected many hundreds of them, I know what they look like and know how they are handled nowadays and all are destined to die soon. Another vendor had a larger selection of clams, maybe 50-75, and was telling customers he breeds them himself! All I can say is "Wow, really? Over the years I've handled many tens of thousands of clams and the myths and misinformation is staggering, and then there's outright fraud.

Anyway, I've attended 20-25 swaps a year for 20 years and this one was my last. I still love what I do and an still awed by the beauty of the creatures. I don't believe in so-called "high-end" corals or designer names, or selling our animals on auction sites, or so-called "live sales". Every weekend, and now many weekdays, we have "live" events on this forum with giveaways, prizes, and games. If the animals are so good, then why the need for all that stuff?? Why the need for super blue saturated pics and insane names?

I'm sorry, to me it turns the animals into inanimate objects. To me you might as well be selling Beanie Babies! I still have respect for the animals. More power to any other vendors and hobbyists that feel differently with their 99 cent auctions and 90% off so-called "live sales". No apologies, just my opinion. I've been a marine aquarium hobbyist since 1965 and I'll still sit in front of a tank for hours just taking in the amazing colors and interactions. Heck, I stare at pulsing Xenia pumping away in our greenhouse and still get mesmerized! OK, so I'm a sentimental old fool. You are free to laugh at me or with me.

While I won't be seeing my friends at these events in the future, feel free to stop by our facility on Saturdays 11-5. There will be a few dates this summer and fall we'll be closed as Rachel and I visit the grand babies and that info will be posted on our Facebook page.

Now, go out there and sell something!

20230624_180449~2.jpg
20230625_145316~2.jpg

Last edited:

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respect. Nice to see a vendor tell it how it is. I still have your torches in my system and they recently took a ton of abuse and they are still kicking and making new heads. Your approach is awesome and you guys always have unique, healthy corals up for grabs and I'd reccomend anyone that sees something they like on your site to snatch it up.
The oversaturation of pix and misrepresentation of colors on some of these corals I see from some vendors nowadays is insane. I have fell for it myself. If it doesn't have "rainbow" colors in full spectrum it's just not a true rainbow lol

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
vendors nowadays are just out to make a profit. quite a handful of vendors at RAPNY who definitely presented their merchandise poorly and expected people to buy from them (some were selling near-dead RFA's/corals, frags with bubble algae/bryopsis/aiptasia). my first RAPNY was in 2021 and the difference in product was much more appealing, and definitely showed they cared about their corals.

Last edited:

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guilty. I have participated and supported a hobby (always thought that was a strange way of describing it. I don’t describe my dogs as a hobby) that, let’s be honest, isn’t the most ethical from the collection all the way through sticking them in a glass box in my living room. You don’t know what you don’t know, and ignorance is bliss. I like to think I provide a quality of life for my animals that is acceptable to them, but when I read into the industry……it’s disturbing to say the least. I appreciate your story and thank you for sharing.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after reading this I need a clam. Actually if I may be honest its the wife that wants the clam. I have never had one in over 30 years of reefing. I have browsed your excellent selection before though.
Time to go read up on them and figure out which is best for my 80g growout system.

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And the proof is in the pudding Dr. MAC. Over the years I have bought clams from several vendors online and some from local shops and they have never survived for very long and some started showing signs of bad health almost immediately.

I recently bought one of the large squamosas from your site and then followed up with a maxima. Both came in very clean and healthy and are still doing amazing and even showing signs of growth. I will be getting one of your newly posted red sea maximas and a crocea next.

Sad to see that some vendors are all about the money but happy to see that there are still a few vendors (yourself included) that are passionate about our hobby and offering healthy quality livestock for us hobbiest to enjoy for many years to come.

Last edited:

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the misinformation and lies. Looking at your website, your prices are pretty much in line with other online vendors. Were the prices at Reefapalooza much higher than online? I stopped going to these events because there were no deals to be had unless you go on the last night and try to bargain with the vendors.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefapalooza is a livestock selling event. This year there was a huge number of vendors with an amazing amount of livestock. Definitely lots of deals, tons of frags in the $15-$25 range.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sneak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to point out that as someone who has only been in this hobby for 6 months, I am always pleased to see your posts because they never have a scent of BS like other vendors typically have. You never scream "SALE" on your posts. I notice this, and other people do too.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
America is always ruefully entertaining!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the clam vendor you are referring to. I was excited that he was going to be at RAP-Dallas last year (wish you had been there) because I had heard he had really great prices. Well, close to $250 for a 1" crocea is not what I call a great price. The only clams he had that I could afford were brown maxima's. I heard recently about his claim that he breeds clams at his facility.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This past weekend I attended Reefapalooza NY. There were tons of vendors, some speakers, and thousands of hobbyists attended.

Every year it's really a fun time and great to see so many of our regular customers and so many of my fellow vendors I've known for decades. The majority of vendors are just like me, enjoying the event and showcasing their products, unfortunately others have different methods. While most hobbyists are quite savvy and have a good BS detector, there is so much misrepresentation that goes on at these events.

I walk around all the vendor booths and check out their wares. From the standpoint of corals, it's all pretty much the same. Each year there are more high-priced Euphyllia and mushrooms. The market can really only take so much! Many vendors have insanely high prices for anything slightly out of the ordinary or anything really colorful. By the end of the show much of that is still sitting there. Many other vendors offer non-photosynthetic animals that they sell cheap, are usually very colorful, and also totally unethical to sell to the average hobbyists that will kill them within the month.

Then there are vendors that just flat out lie to customers. That's right, I said it! Standing at their booths some vendors will say anything to sell and some customers will buy it. Each year there are returning vendors to these events but also many new ones. Since last year's event was not profitable for many vendors there was a much larger crop of new vendors this year than in previous years. Every one trying for that grand slam in sales and most never achieving it, but doing whatever means necessary to try.

Let's take clams for example. I always bring lots of clams to sell at this event. This year I brought 200 and sold about 125. Several other vendors had some clams for sale. A few had wild collected Tahiti clams, but decided it was best to misrepresent them as cultured. Having set up the clam farm in Tahiti about 15 years ago and collected many hundreds of them, I know what they look like and know how they are handled nowadays and all are destined to die soon. Another vendor had a larger selection of clams, maybe 50-75, and was telling customers he breeds them himself! All I can say is "Wow, really? Over the years I've handled many tens of thousands of clams and the myths and misinformation is staggering, and then there's outright fraud.

Anyway, I've attended 20-25 swaps a year for 20 years and this one was my last. I still love what I do and an still awed by the beauty of the creatures. I don't believe in so-called "high-end" corals or designer names, or selling our animals on auction sites, or so-called "live sales". Every weekend, and now many weekdays, we have "live" events on this forum with giveaways, prizes, and games. If the animals are so good, then why the need for all that stuff?? Why the need for super blue saturated pics and insane names?

I'm sorry, to me it turns the animals into inanimate objects. To me you might as well be selling Beanie Babies! I still have respect for the animals. More power to any other vendors and hobbyists that feel differently with their 99 cent auctions and 90% off so-called "live sales". No apologies, just my opinion. I've been a marine aquarium hobbyist since 1965 and I'll still sit in front of a tank for hours just taking in the amazing colors and interactions. Heck, I stare at pulsing Xenia pumping away in our greenhouse and still get mesmerized! OK, so I'm a sentimental old fool. You are free to laugh at me or with me.

While I won't be seeing my friends at these events in the future, feel free to stop by our facility on Saturdays 11-5. There will be a few dates this summer and fall we'll be closed as Rachel and I visit the grand babies and that info will be posted on our Facebook page.

Now, go out there and sell something!

20230624_180449~2.jpg
20230625_145316~2.jpg
Was great to meet and talk with you a little at RAP!
You were 1 of only 2 vendors I purchased anything from.
I've always loved reading you posts, articles, and information you have to share.
Glad to have finally met you!

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to walk around and look but I don't usually buy much. The prices are not that great, BUT the benefit is that you actually get to see the coral in person rather than rolling the dice on an online photo.

At the last swap I went to, my daughter fell in love with a tiny craft fish one of the vendors was selling. It was maybe 2 inches long and made of felt with with glued-on googly eyes. I was thinking I'd get it for her... a few bucks right? I went to pay and was told it was $15.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to walk around and look but I don't usually buy much. The prices are not that great, BUT the benefit is that you actually get to see the coral in person rather than rolling the dice on an online photo.

At the last swap I went to, my daughter fell in love with a tiny craft fish one of the vendors was selling. It was maybe 2 inches long and made of felt with with glued-on googly eyes. I was thinking I'd get it for her... a few bucks right? I went to pay and was told it was $15.
I've found that the vendors that know me will cut me some great deals. I always try and pay in cash which helps. Our main issue here in DFW is lack of attendance. I thought it was because we had so many swaps last year but we have only had a couple this year and attendance has been horrible, except for Aquashella. The last swap I was at I'm not sure 50 people showed up the entire day. I heard RAP-Dallas had a horrible turnout also. I went on Sunday around 3pm, so there was 3 hours left till closing. There were already vendors packed up and gone and several were packing up. They said there was just no attendance.

Hard to gauge Aquashella since it is freshwater/reptiles also and I bet 70% or more of the people there are freshwater people. I heard from a couple of local people that no one was buying this year. One said if it wasn't for other vendors buying his stuff he wouldn't have really sold much. Plus he said he was exhausted at the end of the day from all the questions from the freshwater people that would crowd around his booth.

We have a swap later this month. Hopefully people show up or we may not have anything but Aquashella next year.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back