Coral time in bag if temp stable

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

First of all, I know and fully agree that best practice is to get the coral out of the bag ASAP. I am curious though about generally how they may fair if that doesn’t happen. Last week I had a package delayed 8 hours and everything was perfectly fine. I have read that coral generally ships well, which got me thinking. (Full disclosure, because of my job I can be unexpectedly called to work virtually any day, it may be urgent, and I’m ethically obligated to answer the call. That said it doesn’t happen very often at all).

So, just hypothetically, if coral was well packed, shipped overnight, arrived at 11am, and the package was able to be opened and the bags held at a steady 76 degrees, how long might I have before one would generally expect this to be damaging?

Would four or five hours under such conditions generally be a huge problem? In the rare chance I got called in, I could get my mother to float them, but I can’t expect her to put them in the tank. My other choice would be to pay a service to do it, which would be expensive as hell, but if that’s the consensus, I would just make sure I did a single high value order to make it worth my while (ultimately, bc I’m neurotic and believe we are responsible for our charges, I’ve always found a way to get them in immediately).

Regardless, of what got me thinking about this, I do think my wondering about it has generated an interesting question. I’ve read that temperature swings tend to be lethal if there is extra time in the bag. If that variable is eliminated, might it buy extra time? How long is well packed coral generally expected to be ok in a bag if the the package is delayed and temps are managed?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have to split survivability between sps, lps, and softies. I've had zoa's in a bag for 48 hours without issues. But, Ive also seen sps go south within 24 hours. For the most part it's flow and temp requirements that stress corals out. So, if it's softies, you'll be fine. Lps and sps can be very finicky.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting. I’ve heard mushrooms and zoas are actually fine for two day shipping. Max for me would be about 21 hours, but would likely be lps.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting. I’ve heard mushrooms and zoas are actually fine for two day shipping. Max for me would be about 21 hours, but would likely be lps.
I've had LPS survive the 24 hours shipping and another 5 hours on my front porch. There is always a risk.

LiveRockmia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search on "damp shipping". Very interesting method of shipping coral

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back