Coral transfer tank?

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m upgrading from a 30 gal to 70 gal tall. Due to start up cost I won’t be able to purchase adequate lighting for quite some time.
I currently run a current USA marine orbit led strip. It’s kept my coral alive but hardly any growth. Not too happy with the light(you get what you pay for)
My question is.... could I set up a ‘frag’ tank type set up in a 10/20 gallon tank with my current light until I can purchase the right lights? Mainly how long can I do this, what kinda of filtration is needed(lps, soft) if it’s only coral on a rack.
some research I did said a HOBfilter will suffice if it’s only coral

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 20g long tank as a coral quarantine tank with a HOB filter. I've kept some corals in there for over a year. I use a cheaper blackbox light.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even a brute garbage can would work

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest worry was filtration. Thanks
It's not ideal, for sure, but it works. I have some sand in the tank and one small piece of live rock. Regular water changes help... and since only coral and a few snails, the nutrients can become depleted quickly. I regularly dose no3 and po4 after water changes... otherwise dinos will take hold. I added a small UV as well recently.

OP
OP
D

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not ideal, for sure, but it works. I have some sand in the tank and one small piece of live rock. Regular water changes help... and since only coral and a few snails, the nutrients can become depleted quickly. I regularly dose no3 and po4 after water changes... otherwise dinos will take hold. I added a small UV as well recently.
I’m trying to stay budget friendly when it comes to the transfer tank(planned to convert to a coral quarantine tank after) if I can save now I can spend more on lights :) I plan on using my existing light on a ten gallon(unless you guys think that’s too small of a tank) I have only frags and nothing is fully mature yet so the bio load would be light. About 10 frags mostly zoas, two acans, a single Duncan h, and a torch

if I do a HOB filter what should I run in It? Just the normal carbon/filter pad cartridges? I have my HOB skimmer and a canister I can incorporate but I was planning on placing my live rock and fish/inverts into a tote for the time being Should I run the skimmer on the fish or the coral? I though for sure it would be better to run the canister with the fish and live rock. Maybe I should place the fish and live rock separate?

Side note: it will be a while before I can afford lights for my new tank. The coral will be housed for approximately 3-5 months if things go well. Possibly longer. The fish will be temp housed for minimum time as the new tank cycles. Might just leave them in the old tank for time being if the wife will allow it

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan to place the new tank where the current one is? If not, why not just set the new tank up and transfer directly over when you are ready?

Is there another room in your home where you could move the current tank to while you get the new setup ready? A few hours with no lights wont hurt anything while you do the move.

Corals don't place nearly the amount of bioload on a system that fish do. If you plan on repurposing the current tank, I would suggest you just place everything into a few 5 gallon buckets, move the current tank and refill it and put everything back in. The transfer will be seamless. Use as much of your current water as possible. Consider what you can't save as a water change...

Then, when you have your new tank up and running, transfer everything into there and you are done, with the added benefit of not having to cycle the new tank.

Last edited:

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 32 gallon biocube in a single day with livestock added the same night using water and rock from my existing tank. Had zero losses and everything is happy and thriving.

OP
OP
D

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 32 gallon biocube in a single day with livestock added the same night using water and rock from my existing tank. Had zero losses and everything is happy and thriving.
So I currently have a 30 gallon bow front with canister filter and a HOB skimmer. I’m upgrading to a 70 gallon tall(3ft wide) with sump and plan to place in the same spot. I plan to sell the current tank. I can slide it to one spot in to house. I’m hoping the wife will put up with it for a bit *fingers crossed*

My plan was to use my light from my current tank(marine orbit USA) (which kept my coral alive but hardly any growth except for a few zoa heads) on a ten gallon with an hob filter until I can pay off most startup cost(hopefully 3-5 months)

I know I’m going to go through a cycle with new sand, dry rock, and volume of water. I plan on adding my water change water to the new tank and some existing live rock to seed it.
My biggest worry is giving my frags adequate care durning my transition until I have the right lights. Maybe I should sell them to a good home? I already have a ten gallon,light, and filter. I want to keep my spending to the DT. With a x2 gallon upgrade maybe it’s wiser to start with new coral after my tank has had enough time to mature.

OP
OP
D

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan to place the new tank where the current one is? If not, why not just set the new tank up and transfer directly over when you are ready?

Is there another room in your home where you could move the current tank to while you get the new setup ready? A few hours with no lights wont hurt anything while you do the move.

Corals don't place nearly the amount of bioload on a system that fish do. If you plan on repurposing the current tank, I would suggest you just place everything into a few 5 gallon buckets, move the current tank and refill it and put everything back in. The transfer will be seamless. Use as much of your current water as possible. Consider what you can't save as a water change...

Then, when you have your new tank up and running, transfer everything into there and you are done, with the added benefit of not having to cycle the new tank.
See my previous post. Thank you!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have a 30 gallon bow front with canister filter and a HOB skimmer. I’m upgrading to a 70 gallon tall(3ft wide) with sump and plan to place in the same spot. I plan to sell the current tank. I can slide it to one spot in to house. I’m hoping the wife will put up with it for a bit *fingers crossed*no matter what. Why don

My plan was to use my light from my current tank(marine orbit USA) (which kept my coral alive but hardly any growth except for a few zoa heads) on a ten gallon with an hob filter until I can pay off most startup cost(hopefully 3-5 months)

I know I’m going to go through a cycle with new sand, dry rock, and volume of water. I plan on adding my water change water to the new tank and some existing live rock to seed it.
My biggest worry is giving my frags adequate care durning my transition until I have the right lights. Maybe I should sell them to a good home? I already have a ten gallon,light, and filter. I want to keep my spending to the DT. With a x2 gallon upgrade maybe it’s wiser to start with new coral after my tank has had enough time to mature.

Ok... I suggest that you simply explain to your wife the intricacies of this process. If you can throw in hard dollar numbers, that should help. You currently have a functioning tank. It is wastefull to toss 2/3rds of that away to simply make a tank transfer. First off, you will need a place almost as large as your current tank to set up a 10g. husbandry of such a small tank is far more intensive.

Here is another thought. you are upgrading to a larger tank. You are going to have to break down the current tank no matter what. Why don't you just wait till you have all of the hardware you need and make a weekend project of it? Tear down the old tank, put everything into 5 gallon buckets (30 gallon tank is 5 or 6 buckets for about what 20 bucks tops?) Set up the new tank and fill it with as much of your current water as possible, add in your new substrate and whatever of your old as you need, top it off and the next day restock it... done!!

The most time consuming part of the whole process, really, is waiting for the dust to settle...

OP
OP
D

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... I suggest that you simply explain to your wife the intricacies of this process. If you can throw in hard dollar numbers, that should help. You currently have a functioning tank. It is wastefull to toss 2/3rds of that away to simply make a tank transfer. First off, you will need a place almost as large as your current tank to set up a 10g. husbandry of such a small tank is far more intensive.

Here is another thought. you are upgrading to a larger tank. You are going to have to break down the current tank no matter what. Why don't you just wait till you have all of the hardware you need and make a weekend project of it? Tear down the old tank, put everything into 5 gallon buckets (30 gallon tank is 5 or 6 buckets for about what 20 bucks tops?) Set up the new tank and fill it with as much of your current water as possible, add in your new substrate and whatever of your old as you need, top it off and the next day restock it... done!!

The most time consuming part of the whole process, really, is waiting for the dust to settle...
That what is like to do. My big concern is the new tank cycling before I add the fish to it. I kinda starting this one from scratch with dry rock and new sand. Using some water from the old tank and a few LR chunks to seed it. We that much new water, sand, and rock I feel I’m gonna have a cycle for sure. The fish are not my biggest worry. More the coral because it will take me several month before I can get lights for the new tank. So my questions are geared more towards temp house for the coral. Do you think maintenance on a ten gallon would be to much for just frags?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back