Coralline Algae growth on Plating Montipora

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 28, 2020
Messages
1,011
Reaction score
969
Location
Alexandria
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this frag for a couple months now and it has been a lesson for me in SPS corals alone. The issues I have currently overcome are high PO4, Alk stability and lack of flow for it. So now I have good polyp extension and the flesh is iridescent, making me think it is doing well. My issue is while I was learning it receded to the center and the ends of the plate have coralline algae growing on them. Do I let the coral take its space back over or do I remove the coralline from the skeleton? If so, how should I go about removal?
 
I have had this frag for a couple months now and it has been a lesson for me in SPS corals alone. The issues I have currently overcome are high PO4, Alk stability and lack of flow for it. So now I have good polyp extension and the flesh is iridescent, making me think it is doing well. My issue is while I was learning it receded to the center and the ends of the plate have coralline algae growing on them. Do I let the coral take its space back over or do I remove the coralline from the skeleton? If so, how should I go about removal?

From what I understand coralline algae will not grow on healthy coral tissue. I would just let it grow.
 
I had the same thing on a monti down low that was damaged. It first got hair algae, then coralline covered the spot. It's been over a year and the coralline is just covering that one spot, and otherwise the coral is fine. I would leave it, it's possible the plating monti would grow back over it eventually. There's definitely no live coral under there though, so if you take off the coralline, it'll just grow hair algae. My corals as they're encrusting will kill any nearby coralline algae, leaving a white ring in front of it's growth, so I don't doubt the coral will eventually win out over coralline.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new