OP
B

Big Mistake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it clearly appears I now have Coralline Algae in my tank.

In December of 2020 I added TWO bottles of Coralline Algae In A Bottle to a 10 gallon water box. Nadda. Maybe some subtle tank change.

Recently added two bottles of Copepods from Algae Barn and dosed phytoplankton for month.

Noticed maybe DKH was low and starting dosing Tropic Marin All-For-One. Has not had the dkh change as much I expected. Tropic Marin salt had been testing 9 dkh. Tank sits at 7, water change will bounce it up a bit.

I clearly now have Coralline Algae on the power head, glass, and overflow grates. Go figure.

Wish I had kept an accurate journal. Or maybe a "control tank".

I also have Red Planaria Flatworms ... currently ignoring them and trying to blow them into the water column and get them pulled out by the filter sock. Might try Flatworm exit. Were they lurking in the tank or come with that Copepods and Phytoplankton.

So did the Coralline Algae come with the Copepods and phytoplankton dosing, and the Coralline Algae in a Bottle not work, or did the Tropic Marin All-For-One add something the Tropic Marin salt was lacking that caused latent Coralline Algae spores to start growing? Or did it take 5 months for the Coralline Algae in the Bottle to settle and start growing? Guess *I* will never know the answer to all of this. Just dumb luck.

I should ICP test tank water and fresh Tropic Marin Bio Actif. Or is it something purely biological?

-Big Mistake

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you pH change? Raising Alk is just half of the equation for calcification which drives coraline growth. The other half is pH. Maybe adding the phyto caused more photosynthesis which reduced the CO2 content of your tank, and adding pods increased biodiversity and improved your nitrate cycle - both of which has positive impact to raising pH. The raised pH in turn caused a more favorable condition for calcification.

Also assuming your Ca level has been high/constant that it wasn't a factor.

OP
OP
B

Big Mistake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it is the distilled water I am using.

That it is missing something that even excellent RODI water has? A tiny amount of Iron?

It sure seems it is the All-For-Reef but with softies only tank what is consuming Ca etc?

Some trace element? Not in Tropic Marin salt but in All-For-Reef?

Should ICP the distilled water. I know it is very pure as its electrical conductivity is nil.

Currently spending $2.00 a week on ATO and water change water.

So everyday I know less and less about this activity, but one thing I do know is why so many reefers only last a year.

I am just a month past my 1 year anniversary and suddenly I have a quite different tank.

Begs for another tank to run as an experiment but that would be a ...

-Big Mistake

Back