Coralline algae not growing please help

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few snails seeded my tank. Plus about 4-6 months and maturity and it comes. Next thing you know. Everything that is black plastic is covered !

OP
OP
G

GupGup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be stressful starting out..I get it. Oddly no one in this thread is asking about alk, ca or pH.... Those are important factors in calcification. Coraline is no exception to these requirements and they can take some time to sort out. I've always had success with promoting coraline growth while dosing calcium chloride (kalkwasser
Yeah well I’ve been keeping track of all that stuff and it all seems at steady healthy levels
But that’s very interesting with the calcium chloride I’ll definitely look into it thanks

OP
OP
G

GupGup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with all live rock that I’ve had for years. My tank was completely covered in coralline after a couple of months and now it’s become more of a nuisance than anything. Introducing it is key and keeping your parameters up is crucial. Coralline prefers the same parameters as SPS corals do because it’s a calcifying algae. Coralline tends to grow faster in low lit areas and typically won’t take hold on sand so easily.
E994DE3B-22C7-4532-A5B6-94F91CFD80D3.jpeg
Yeah cheers mate

OP
OP
G

GupGup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't suppose you have an urchin in your tank? Those little buggers seem to love coraline. I had this 4lb rock that was 95% covered in beautiful purple coraline. Introduced a tuxedo and in 3 days it had it down to bare rock.

Buddy of mine commented once he wasn't having it grow in his tank either, then he noticed his urchin would cruise the tank and snipe the coraline as soon as it started growing.
I don’t have an urchin But I have a few snails

Back