Coralline algae

Bamaboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i am still a baby to Sw reef my 65gal tank is been up for about 60 to 90 days my question is when will i began to see any purple coralline algae i have only 2 chromis in the tank with about 12 snails and some blue leg crabs. Every week i have my water tested by my local Lfs and they say everything is doing good they started me about 3wks ago putting in seachem reef fusion 1 and fusion 2. This past week I tested my water my calcium level is it 450 my ammonia level is at 0 my salt level is 1022 to 1023
Not saying these guys are doing anything wrong or guiding me wrong I just wanted to know somebody else's opinion if they think I'm going the right way I would like to know when I can start putting corals then the tank. Thanks Bamaboy

trioledeployment

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i am still a baby to Sw reef my 65gal tank is been up for about 60 to 90 days my question is when will i began to see any purple coralline algae i have only 2 chromis in the tank with about 12 snails and some blue leg crabs. Every week i have my water tested by my local Lfs and they say everything is doing good they started me about 3wks ago putting in seachem reef fusion 1 and fusion 2. This past week I tested my water my calcium level is it 450 my ammonia level is at 0 my salt level is 1022 to 1023
Not saying these guys are doing anything wrong or guiding me wrong I just wanted to know somebody else's opinion if they think I'm going the right way I would like to know when I can start putting corals then the tank. Thanks Bamaboy
Takes time... Patience, and when it starts... It comes quick. My tank has been up for a year, and blooming with Coraline.
be567cb92a937e9f91127bd079ff01e5.jpg

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im even newer then you but from my reading ive been doing. I was under the impression that your salinity is too low. Im def not educated on all the other supplement questions. Ammonia at 0 is good what about your nitrates though?

Also for coraline to grow you have to introduce it into the tank. So if your live rock doesnt already have it on it. Or a snail or a frag doesnt have any coraline on it then you wont ever get it. It has to be added. Ive also read that your calcium level will affect how fast it grows but again not sure on what is considered low normal and high on that.

Good luck! Hopefully someone more educated will show up and we can both learn something haha

edit: Jeeze! That coraline is scary! haha is it growing on the sand?

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off did you seed the tank? Does any of your snails have any on there shells? My tank have been running for 6 months and I am just now starting to see it on my glass.

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a semi similar problem, but just this past months mine has atleast doubled, and all the rocks have some on it now. My tank is about a year and 7 months now; so just give it some time. Eventually you'll have to clean it off your glass so enjoy your break in the wind :p ps I used purple up for about 2 months, and it worked pretty good

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if you don't like Coraline ? is there a way to keep your tank clean from it?

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont add it. It has to be added to the tank to get it. Although that does seem to be a challenge. As a frag or snail could bring it with them.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im even newer then you but from my reading ive been doing. I was under the impression that your salinity is too low. Im def not educated on all the other supplement questions. Ammonia at 0 is good what about your nitrates though?

Also for coraline to grow you have to introduce it into the tank. So if your live rock doesnt already have it on it. Or a snail or a frag doesnt have any coraline on it then you wont ever get it. It has to be added. Ive also read that your calcium level will affect how fast it grows but again not sure on what is considered low normal and high on that.

Good luck! Hopefully someone more educated will show up and we can both learn something haha

edit: Jeeze! That coraline is scary! haha is it growing on the sand?
Lots of good stuff in this post!

@Bamaboy, personally I would continue testing your water yourself. I have a hard time believing a guy behind a counter when he tells me "You're good, but you'll need to start dosing this". Without something to export it (i.e. corals/coralline), you shouldn't have to dose anything if you're using a good reef salt (what salt are you using?). As @Mombo said, your salinity could be a little higher, 1.024-1.026 is what I believe most recommend for a reef tank. He's also correct that "seeding" the tank will help. Anytime I get a new crab, snail, or frag with coralline on it, I scrape it off straight into the water. If you're looking for quick growth monitoring pH, dKH (alkalinity), and calcium and keeping them all in range and stable will definitely help. My current tank has been up for about a year and a half and I am just barely seeing coralline growth, from what I believe was low pH.

OP
OP
Bamaboy

Bamaboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bd82e4672e977711edb14156cb6efcde.jpg

This is what the tank looks like now he says the nitrates are at zero so u don't have to have coralline algae for ur tank to b doing good I just want to know if I could start putting coral in there now

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bd82e4672e977711edb14156cb6efcde.jpg

This is what the tank looks like now he says the nitrates are at zero so u don't have to have coralline algae for ur tank to b doing good I just want to know if I could start putting coral in there now
How did you manage to get the rocks and sand to stay up there!? ;Wideyed

;)

Ok sorry, I just had to. If your tank has cycled then yes, I would get started with coral. Also, nitrates aren't indicative of an unhealthy tank either. High nitrates can be bad, but a lot of people (including myself) shoot for detectable (3-5 ppm) nitrates for healthy color and growth of coral :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bamaboy

Bamaboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did i do something wrong i just stacked The Rock like that it doesn't move at all does it look ok like i said this is all new to me and there's not a lot Lfs in Hoover. Al only 2

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Takes time... Patience, and when it starts... It comes quick. My tank has been up for a year, and blooming with Coraline.
be567cb92a937e9f91127bd079ff01e5.jpg

Dude. That's insane.

Anyways, I think I added a rock with a small amount on it when I started mine up 8 months ago, and 8 months later I'm loving the way it looks. It's really flourished with no extra work on my end. Just about all my snails and hermits are covered as well.
IMG_3382.JPG
IMG_3086.JPG

OP
OP
Bamaboy

Bamaboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you manage to get the rocks and sand to stay up there!? ;Wideyed

;)

Ok sorry, I just had to. If your tank has cycled then yes, I would get started with coral. Also, nitrates aren't indicative of an unhealthy tank either. High nitrates can be bad, but a lot of people (including myself) shoot for detectable (3-5 ppm) nitrates for healthy color and growth of coral :)
What kind of corals would b best to start with

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude. That's insane.

Anyways, I think I added a rock with a small amount on it when I started mine up 8 months ago, and 8 months later I'm loving the way it looks. It's really flourished with no extra work on my end. Just about all my snails and hermits are covered as well.
IMG_3382.JPG
IMG_3086.JPG
You lucky duck. Lol this is mine after 17 months...

20170409_081605.jpg

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals would b best to start with
What kind do you want? One of the biggest mistakes I made was getting corals because they were easy and not necessarily because I wanted them. What are your overall plans with the tank?

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch! I love them haha. Cant wait for my tank to be ready for coral. Im sure your tank will grow coraline you just need to add it. If your LFS has live rock rubble. Just look for a small piece with some coraline on it and throw it in your tank and let it do its thing.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back