Coralline algae?

wschaedler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EF16F323-E908-4EA2-A1AE-81AFB393A80C.jpeg
Anyone know what this orange stuff is? Coralline algae maybe? I don’t know. All my levels are ok, salinity at good level, everything seems good. But this stuff is growing in spots. EFFE4FE8-BE65-4555-80CD-7F274BA931D2.jpeg 6A124D7F-877E-4A4D-AA77-5E8C7B5037A0.jpeg 4A1A49F6-ED80-4018-AEB6-3768B0DD3F9C.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like diatoms often associated with new tanks which contain silicates from new sand and dry rock and in time diminishes.
If unsightly to you, reduce white light intensity and siphon as needed

OP
OP
W

wschaedler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s already been cycled though. How do I get rid of these? And are they harmful// what should I do?

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s already been cycled though. How do I get rid of these? And are they harmful// what should I do?
How old is the tank? Diatoms normally appear during the ugly stage of a new tank. Perfectly normal just have to be paitent and they go away on their own. Theyre not harmful

OP
OP
W

wschaedler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Diatoms normally appear during the ugly stage of a new tank. Perfectly normal just have to be paitent and they go away on their own. Theyre not harmful
I saw online that if They spread to any of my corals they can kill them. Is that something I should be worried about?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Diatoms is not BBC a one time thing. Can affect s 2 year tank.
How?
If your RO ….. Di Cartridges are used up or in need of change- chances are , silicates are present

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms is not BBC a one time thing. Can affect s 2 year tank.
How?
If your RO ….. Di Cartridges are used up or in need of change- chances are , silicates are present

Had this happen on my 5 year old tank when I accidentally used straight RO water and not RODI in my ATO one time. So any spike in silicates can cause a diatom bloom.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How would I go about getting rid of them?
Diatoms look ugly but in most cases they are harmless so the key is to not panic when they appear.
Diatoms feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Unfiltered tap water can contain silicates and is a good way to jump start a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. The best way to prevent this from happening is to filter water through a RODI unit, although you can still get a diatom bloom when using RODI if the cartridge that removes silicates expires.
diatoms are typically harmless to a captive reef and can be beaten once their food source expires. Once you put the kibosh on the source, the outbreak should last a couple of weeks so just be patient and it will pass. For major outbreaks you may want to consider the three day blackout. Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. Be prepared for them to re-establish themselves quickly, they are likely to be able to resettle and have exponential growth rates.
To prevent their return, practice good aquarium husbandry by doing regular water changes, keep the substrate clean, don’t overfeed the fish, ensure your skimmer is running at an optimal level and rinse out filter socks and sponges on a regular basis.
Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I go about getting rid of them?

They normally die off when they run out of silicates. However, if you are not using RODI water, and/or your filters need replaced, then you can still introduce more silicates and get them again.

So in a nutshell, getting rid of them means getting rid of the silicates. In a new tank, it's best to just wait it out.

OP
OP
W

wschaedler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They normally die off when they run out of silicates. However, if you are not using RODI water, and/or your filters need replaced, then you can still introduce more silicates and get them again.

So in a nutshell, getting rid of them means getting rid of the silicates. In a new tank, it's best to just wait it out.
If I do a 3 day blackout, will that kill my coral/torch or affect anything?

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw online that if They spread to any of my corals they can kill them. Is that something I should be worried about?
where did you read that? that is not true.

they are unsightly but do not kill coral.

vettguy's posts indicates how to reduce diatoms, start with those.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO removes silicates. Bye bye diatoms. I used PhosGuard but some fear it leaches aluminum. I just used Cuprisorb to remove any possible aluminum. PhosGuard just easier for me to use.

OP
OP
W

wschaedler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO removes silicates. Bye bye diatoms. I used PhosGuard but some fear it leaches aluminum. I just used Cuprisorb to remove any possible aluminum. PhosGuard just easier for me to use.
Gfo as in phosguard? Or what should I buy to get rid of them? Also it won’t harm fish or any livestock in it right? Sorry I seem new to this hahah I kind of am but have just never used some of these chemicals. Thanks guys!

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo as in phosguard? Or what should I buy to get rid of them? Also it won’t harm fish or any livestock in it right? Sorry I seem new to this hahah I kind of am but have just never used some of these chemicals. Thanks guys!
I've only used PhosGuard because my current setup is sitting on my computer desk and running a HOB. No convenient way to run GFO for me such as what is sold by BRS or something often recommended such as RowaPhos. If you have a sump and can add a media reactor to tumble GFO then that's an option.

However, might be worth getting a test kit from Salifert or Seachem to confirm that's what you have before spending money on another contraption that might not be needed. Why for me it was easier to just use PhosGuard as it could be added to a HOB or canister. Although I've since discovered it might leach aluminum so to be on the safe side I run CupriSorb during or afterwards to eliminate that issue.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok first thing is take a deep breath do not over react they are diatoms and will go away on their own. No need for chemicals that will just cause more problems as you chase the cure for diatoms. Nothing happens fast in reefing. Just let it run its
course and you will be fine. If it bothers you that much turn to a more blue spectrum and they won’t look as ugly or just vacuum them from sand. But if I were you I would just leave it alone, just about everyone going through a cycle experiences this. The key is not to panic and cause more harm. You put GFO in a new tank and your phosphates bottom out as well as nitrates and now you risk Dino’s. You DONT want those. They are a PIA.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back