Corallite bleaching

Vladthelarge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I've been lurking for the past 8 months, but this is my first post seeking help. Last weekend I got a nice sized tort colony from a friend who has had it stable in his tank for the past 2+ years. In his tank it was in a rack about 75% up the glass. We believe it was getting a lot of par in this config, but don't have par readings to confirm.

In my tank, I have a kessil a360x and aqualife 4xt5 retrofit over a 30x30x24 92g cube. The top of the structure is about 6" from the surface and the light is about 8" above the water surface. According to brs videos on the light setup, I should have a hot spot under the kessil north of 450 par.

I placed it pretty high up on the middle of the tank so it's likely near that hot spot. After a few days I started to notice the corallites on the acropora turning white. It's more pronounced with the lights off. Tips don't looks bad so I'm confused as to what might be causing this.
IMG_20210711_144318.jpg

Parameters are:

Ph 8.3
Salinity 1.0245
Alk 7.4-7.6
Ammo/nitrate: 0.0
Nitrite: 0.03 (Hannah uln tester)
Mag: 1260

Ive relocated the colony to a rack in hopes it might be too much light. Anything else I should consider looking into? Any dips to keep it from dying, etc?

Thanks for the assistance.
Scott

OP
OP
Vladthelarge

Vladthelarge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I've been lurking for the past 8 months, but this is my first post seeking help. Last weekend I got a nice sized tort colony from a friend who has had it stable in his tank for the past 2+ years. In his tank it was in a rack about 75% up the glass. We believe it was getting a lot of par in this config, but don't have par readings to confirm.

In my tank, I have a kessil a360x and aqualife 4xt5 retrofit over a 30x30x24 92g cube. The top of the structure is about 6" from the surface and the light is about 8" above the water surface. According to brs videos on the light setup, I should have a hot spot under the kessil north of 450 par.

I placed it pretty high up on the middle of the tank so it's likely near that hot spot. After a few days I started to notice the corallites on the acropora turning white. It's more pronounced with the lights off. Tips don't looks bad so I'm confused as to what might be causing this.
IMG_20210711_144318.jpg

Parameters are:

Ph 8.3
Salinity 1.0245
Alk 7.4-7.6
Ammo/nitrate: 0.0
Nitrite: 0.03 (Hannah uln tester)
Mag: 1260

Ive relocated the colony to a rack in hopes it might be too much light. Anything else I should consider looking into? Any dips to keep it from dying, etc?

Thanks for the assistance.
Scott
Anyone have any thoughts? Would really appreciate the assistance.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That acro looks starved
How many fish do you have and what are you doing for nutrient export. 0.03 no3 is pretty low. What is your Po4?

I highly recommend getting your own par measurements. I’m a big fan of the brs videos but I would not rely on their par measurements.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back