Corals are ticked yay

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. For a couple weeks now I've had troubles with my zoas, duncan, and gonipora. I just started dosing a couple weeks ago and I've been trying to get the tank dialed in, and I can't seem to get everything happy again. The zoas, all of them except the ugliest color naturally, won't open up fully at all anymore. The duncan polyp has been fine, but the green "skin" has slowly been receding. And the gonipora won't fully open. My alvepora also hasn't been open nearly as much as it usually is. Another clue that something is off is that my leptastrea is not fully open either, and thats only ever happened once before.

Tank is a year old
Nitrate: salifert test shows 0 but I feed heavy
Alkalinity: 8.6
Calcium: 450

I dose reef roids twice a week and i feed the duncan twice a week. I haven't done any major changes except for the dosing, and I started that because these corals weren't looking good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Duncan.jpg
Alvepora.jpg
Gonipora 2.jpg
Gonipora.jpg
Leptastria.jpg
Zoas 2.jpg
Zoas.jpg

wtdenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your phosphate levels? Before your corals started showing signs of decline did you make any changes big or small? Change your water source or anything like that? Have you checked your in-tank magnets?

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank, what’s the water change schedule and what did you start dosing? Twice a week roids and feeding heavy sounds like a lot, and strange that nitrate at 0, as mentioned I would test phosphate.

OP
OP
D

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your phosphate levels? Before your corals started showing signs of decline did you make any changes big or small? Change your water source or anything like that? Have you checked your in-tank magnets?
I don't have any phosphate test but I was wondering if it was that. I know the reef roids can do that. But no changes to water sources and not sure what you mean by magnets

OP
OP
D

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank, what’s the water change schedule and what did you start dosing? Twice a week roids and feeding heavy sounds like a lot, and strange that nitrate at 0, as mentioned I would test phosphate.
15 gallons and I started two weeks ago. I do weekly water changes of five gallons (same schedule for almost 8 months now). I am gonna go to the fish store and have them test phosphates. But even then i just did a water change last week that was almost ten gallons, and I have only fed reef roids once so i feel I would see some sort of change this week if it was phosphates.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 gallons and I started two weeks ago. I do weekly water changes of five gallons (same schedule for almost 8 months now). I am gonna go to the fish store and have them test phosphates. But even then i just did a water change last week that was almost ten gallons, and I have only fed reef roids once so i feel I would see some sort of change this week if it was phosphates.
I would cut down on water changes. 33% a week is a lot. You need to dirty up the water. Do 10% a week, that is 1.5 gallons.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And last week you did a 66% water change, you are removing all the nutrients from the water. I haven't done a water change on my 75 for 2 months now, was doing 10% weekly, my nitrates are 25-45ppm and phos run from 0.08-0.18. I only feed my fish once per day with quality flakes only for at least 3 years now and my fish are fat and happy for 7 years. I also haven't fed the corals except for phyto 2-3 times a week and My corals are fine.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an API test kit? API test always reads zero for me. And you dont have a phosphate test kit. I would suggest to upgrade your test kits.

It seems like something happened in your tank a few weeks ago, we can't know what it is. Maybe the alk has changed, maybe the filters on the rodi have never been changed, maybe your pumps are dirty and barely moving water? Mybe your phosphage is at .5 ....... I could guess all day long and still be wrong.

OP
OP
D

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed you have a clam. How long have you had it?
I have had it for 3 weeks now. Also I see what you mean about the water not being dirty enough. I'll cut down on the water changes, that would explain the upset gonis. However the zoas? Arent they largely photosynthetic? I never thought I would have issues with them as they are hardy.

OP
OP
D

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an API test kit? API test always reads zero for me. And you dont have a phosphate test kit. I would suggest to upgrade your test kits.

It seems like something happened in your tank a few weeks ago, we can't know what it is. Maybe the alk has changed, maybe the filters on the rodi have never been changed, maybe your pumps are dirty and barely moving water? Mybe your phosphage is at .5 ....... I could guess all day long and still be wrong.
I use red sea for nitrate, calcium, and alkalinity. I took a water sample to the store today and they said phosphate was zero.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it for 3 weeks now. Also I see what you mean about the water not being dirty enough. I'll cut down on the water changes, that would explain the upset gonis. However the zoas? Arent they largely photosynthetic? I never thought I would have issues with them as they are hardy.
I think zoa's are mostly photosynthetic. Like I said I don't feed my corals but phyto, nitrate, phosphate and what ever I feed my fish and my zoa's are growing fast. My fish, a Yellow Tang, Flame Hawkfish, Filefish, two b/w damsels and two Clownfish many snails and a couple crabs. They devour the flake food more than frozen so I just feed quality flakes with all the variety mixed up once per day. I dose manually including micro elements. I run my lights 90% blues, 30-40% whites for 10 hours per day, ramping up and down first 2 hours.

As for the clam, I only managed to keep one alive for 18 months. I think with your feeding schedule is keeping your clam alive, also when they get a good size like 6 inches or more they get most of their nutrients from the lighting. I hope your clam lives a long and healthy life. I won't get any more clams, just too sensitive.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything about your lighting
I don't have any phosphate test but I was wondering if it was that. I know the reef roids can do that. But no changes to water sources and not sure what you mean by magnets
The magnets used for wave makers or frag racks that are submerged in water, things like that. If the magnet is exposed to water can leach chemicals.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back