Corals just arent right. Not thriving like before. Pics included**

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up Reef 2 Reef,

So its been nearly a year now since we set up our 90 gallon , which was a upgrade from a 57 gallon rimless. Corals in the 57 gallon thrived with no issues ever. I upgrade to the 90 gallon and at first coral seem ok. By only ok, I mean they are openning up, but I feel they openned up more in the 57 gallon. I feel some color has been lost, and growth has slowed. Overall they are ok, no bleaching or dying off. Considering this is a new tank with new lighting, I thought ide give it some time, as maybe they just need time to acclimate.

My biggest concern are my zoas. They seem to be affected the most. growth has really slowed, colors are not like they used to, and they seem to never want to fully open up. Again, considering this is a new tank, I gave them time to acclimate. Fast forward nearly a year, and zoas are in the same shape maybe even a little worse. All other corals seem fine, except for a few that look bothered by something, but again I noticed they arent colorful and thriving like they were in my previous tank.

There is something not perfect in my reef and I cant seem to pinpoint it.

Ive checked water parameters many times, and all seem to come back with perfect results. Maybe its to much light or to little, not sure. Heres some pics:

Duncans never seem to fully open. When lights come on they seem to want to open up, but then they close up again.
IMG_4034.jpg

Before:
IMG_3735.jpg

This colony of rasta zoanthids always seem to thrive no matter what. This is how they are now. They dont die off , they just dont seem happy. Dont fully open and growth has slowed
IMG_4031.jpg

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its weird how some corals seem affected by something and then some look ok, but again even the once that are ok seem to have lost some color. Heres some examples.

IMG_3558.jpg
IMG_4039.jpg
IMG_4037.jpg
IMG_4035.jpg
IMG_3556.jpg

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had stray voltage twice, and it was very similar to what you are describing...if that checks out ok, and it's not that issue, than I would look for something that is leaching heavy metals, maybe get a triton test. Have you done a major water change to see if there is any improvements?

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked phosphates? Looks like a good amount of algae on the top growing

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had stray voltage twice, and it was very similar to what you are describing...if that checks out ok, and it's not that issue, than I would look for something that is leaching heavy metals, maybe get a triton test. Have you done a major water change to see if there is any improvements?
Thanks for the reply, Ive checked stray voltage years ago, but forget about it this time around. I just checked it this morning, and got 25 volts of stray voltage in the aquarium. If i remember correctly anything below 50 is where you want to be, so i supposed this isnt the problem.

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked phosphates? Looks like a good amount of algae on the top growing
Phosphates read zero on a API test kit. I believe I get algae growing on top, as that is my dead spot when it comes to flow. I dont seem to have any algae issue in the rest of the tank.

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, Ive checked stray voltage years ago, but forget about it this time around. I just checked it this morning, and got 25 volts of stray voltage in the aquarium. If i remember correctly anything below 50 is where you want to be, so i supposed this isnt the problem.
I honestly do not know what is considered normal, for voltage. So I can't help you there. Maybe someone else will chime in on normal levels. If that is normal levels, the next thing I would suggest, is a large water change, sometimes I think things build up in our systems after awhile, and if the normal parameters are checking out, then it has to be something else present in your system. Try a large wc, and see how the coral react the next week

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters I check bi weekly. last test results which were yesterday are below:

Calcium: 440
Alk: 8dkh
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Phosphates: 0 ppm
Mag: 1300
Ph: 8.1

I do 15 gallon water changes bi weekly. Every other friday.
Change Rox Gac every other water change, so Gac is changed once a month.

I dose B-ionic 2 parts twice a week.

Filtration is simple. Sump with filter socks, tumbling cheato, skimmer, and Gac.

Feed fish every other day. Feed coral twice a week, broadcasting reef roids or oyster feast.

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly do not know what is considered normal, for voltage. So I can't help you there. Maybe someone else will chime in on normal levels. If that is normal levels, the next thing I would suggest, is a large water change, sometimes I think things build up in our systems after awhile, and if the normal parameters are checking out, then it has to be something else present in your system. Try a large wc, and see how the coral react the next week
Yea, I am not 100 percent but I think I remember it being below 50 volts is ok. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in on this. Water changes dont seem to help much, if they do its very minimal, then corals go back to how they were before.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 volts is the level at which people have to take electrical safety precautions. I wouldn't use that number as meaning much when it comes to aquatic life.

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you dose of the 2part each time twice a week? Could it be possible your alk is jumping between the dosing? Can you spread out your dosing to every day to keep it more stable? I'm just trying to help, I have no idea if this will help things, but it is worth a try

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 volts is the level at which people have to take electrical safety precautions. I wouldn't use that number as meaning much when it comes to aquatic life.
This could very well be your problem then, I noticed certain corals would handle stray voltage allot better than others in my tank the two times I had an issue. Similar to what your experiencing, where some look healthy and others are having issues

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have little personal experience with this, but it seems like a common cause when people have problems similar to this is that their water is too clean. It's something you may want to look into more.

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, hopefully someone comes in that can tell me what stray voltage should be in a aquarium.

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you dose of the 2part each time twice a week? Could it be possible your alk is jumping between the dosing? Can you spread out your dosing to every day to keep it more stable? I'm just trying to help, I have no idea if this will help things, but it is worth a try
Ive always done dosing bi-weekly for years with no problem . Never recorded any spikes in alk. my water parameters are always pretty stable. Thanks for your replies though. What kind of voltage was your tank reading, when you had stray voltage issues?

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to think it maybe something bacterial. Which I have seen happen in some of my tanks and others. Usually, chemiclean and a couple water changes fix that. Looking for other options to try before I go that route.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hmm. Duncans are closed zoas are close sps are getting pale? Id get a phosphate test kit that can test 1ppm and under. Only time ive seen duncans close is when your water is over filtered, and phosphate deficient

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back