Corals won’t fully open

FishKid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, I have had my reef tank setup for 3 months. I have a bunch of softies and recently got a new hammer coral along with a toadstool. But it’s been a couple of days and they have not fully opened. It has good lighting and good flow also. All the other corals are doing fine. So I did some testing and a water change and still the same issue. I would love some solutions

PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Salinity 1.025
Temp. 78
Using RODI water and dosing reef plus

image.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium at? Also, be careful with not dosing reef plus too much as trace elements should only be dosed if needed.

OP
OP
FishKid

FishKid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I ordered a test kit for those. And I think I got to greedy wanting them to grow

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I ordered a test kit for those. And I think I got to greedy wanting them to grow

When you get any coral with a stony skeleton (sps, lps), alkalinity becomes the most important to test frequently as it can drain fast. Calcium is second and magnesium is third. Make sure that if you dose them, alk needs to be dosed into the sump or filter intake as it needs to mixed otherwise it will "burn" the corals

OP
OP
FishKid

FishKid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a Alk test kit but I’m getting a calcium soon. my alkalinity in ppm is 180 ppm. And could I find calcium and magnesium using GH? If so my GH is also 180 ppm but I’m not sure if that is only for freshwater hardness.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a Alk test kit but I’m getting a calcium soon. my alkalinity in ppm is 180 ppm. And could I find calcium and magnesium using GH? If so my GH is also 180 ppm but I’m not sure if that is only for freshwater hardness.

No you need a test kit specific for those

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by softies? Specifically what types? Definitely check your alk, ca and mag. Do not just guess and dose. Make sure there is a reason behind dosing. If you have a small tank, you can avoid dosing and do water changes to keep up fine.

OP
OP
FishKid

FishKid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some Xenia, and zoas and a Kenya tree which are all doing great. I have stopped dosing for now until the tank needs it ( again I got to greedy for them to grow). I just used a API test kit. I know it’s not the most accurate but that’s all I could afford for now. And I have ordered calcium and magnesium test kits.

OP
OP
FishKid

FishKid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so my calcium is at 420 alk at about 10 dkh and mag is at 1245 all of those seem good. I can’t think of anything else

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light do you use?

Also for dosing, make sure to not raise alk by more than 0.5KH at a time

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back