Coris / Six Line Wrasse alternatives

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good alternatives to these two wrasses for eating common pests in a mixed reef? I currently have a blue star leopard wrasse, but it seems to be inclined to simply follow around my goby all day looking for anything it digs up.

I have a 6 foot 125 mixed reef tank.

The yellow Coris wrasse seems to be my best bet, but they do seem hard to find. I don't want to really risk the six line wrasse aggression. If anyone could chime in on housing a six line in a 100+ gallon tank with your experience, it would be appreciated.

I currently have a issue with montipora eating nudibranchs so i'm just making a list of possible predators to include. I don't have the time or money to get my QT tank set up to house coral for months on end. So other than dipping I need some natural predators to take care of any intruders that may sneak into the tank.

Long story short, my LFS has always been very good, at least at keeping infestations of things at bay. Lately they have been slipping, I bought a duncan which must have had some eggs or a nudi on it that didn't get thrown off by dipping and scrubbing. I figured this out by visiting the store again not too long ago. The few montis they had were being eatin and I also noticed a outbreak of aptasia. Neither were visible at the time of my coral purchase. It's unfortunate because they always have killer prices on coral + trade in for 50% of the sale value. They also sell coral from tanks they break down for customers. It was inevitable that things would get in their system. I just wont shop there again until I get a proper coral QT setup.

Thank you!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pass on the six-line since you have a leopard wrasse. H. Chrysus (aka yellow coris) is a good option @Reef Pro has some right now. I’ve gotten several wrasses from them they’re a great vendor.

Upvote 1

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow 'coris' is usually easy to find. Most of its cousins, like H. luecoxanthus, biocellatus, or melanurus, are good too. I agree about skipping the 6 line.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
MarshallB

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not other leopard wrasse females to join your current one as well?
It's an option. Figured there may be better wrasse suited for going after other critters. It seems to only be concerned with pods and fed food. I've never actually seen it looking at any of my corals. Getting the leopard shipped and quarantined was super stressful too. It arrived 2 days late, I thought it was pretty much dead when I opened the package. Once placed into my QT system it just layed on the bottom for 2 days before it began moving and found its way to the sand I placed in it. Absolutely love that fish though. Beautiful.

I also didn't know about reefpro I will check them out. I've had good experience with liveaquaria other than inventory being all over the place.

Thanks all for the input!

Upvote 0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pest eating fish are all hit and miss chance.
Here's an article on the melanurus wrasse

They may eat the montipora eating nudibranch.

Upvote 0

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the melanurus.
through 2 systems its the one fish i can't imagine doing without. docile, attractive and always working.

Upvote 0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, since you have a 6ft tank. You could even keep a yellow and a female melanurus. To prevent male aggression since female melanurus are easy to ID.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MarshallB

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pest eating fish are all hit and miss chance.
Here's an article on the melanurus wrasse

They may eat the montipora eating nudibranch.
Stunning fish.

I guess it is a better idea to add more than one more wrasse. Feeding 4 times a day wont work, maybe 2 at best. However, losing a few CUC members every now and then would be worth the price as long as the pest are kept at bay.

Upvote 0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coris is in the same family. You have the same set of issues. Get them under 3 inches. They are less likely to eat inverts and will focus more on grazing on rocks, investigate coral for food. My boy is over 4 inches and ate 2 skunks one morning. I am sure its my fault, He's very active and always hungry.

Edit: they are the equivalent to tangs in metabolism.

Upvote 0

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a female Melanurus an ornate leopard and a six line added in the order and sized largest to smallest in that order in an 180 for al ost 2 years and nary a skirmish and never seen (knock on wood) a flat worm

Upvote 0

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a female Melanurus an ornate leopard and a six line added in the order and sized largest to smallest in that order in an 180 for al ost 2 years and nary a skirmish and never seen (knock on wood) a flat worm
that terrific! sometimes things in this hobby work despite not being recommended.
The unfortunate truth is that it doesn't change that the majority of situations don't have the same good fortune as you have which is why they're not seen as compatible.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised nobody mentioned these guys, Pseudocheilinops ataenia (Pink Streak Wrasse).
Hi ya got a replacement one for one that passed after a year of being with me.
9805AB46-2A6D-4583-B430-0211FD203320.jpeg

0E803522-EC39-482F-9D93-3041774E023B.jpeg

E1439BE8-3EB3-4DE7-9A6C-D1714B23411D.jpeg

Upvote 0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If struggle to get a yellow coris wrasse then maybe a silver belly wrasse be easier to get ?
Mine my cheapest fish in tank but also my favourite as the yellow the most vibrant I've ever seen,but got him for job in tank of keeping in check any potential pest problems I may or may not come across,he constantly scouring the rocks/ corals for stuff to eat.

Upvote 0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always liked the 6 line.
I have 3. 1 in a 20g nano cube, 1 in a 30g fuge, and one in my frag system. The one in my frag system spent over 2 years with a clown and diamond goby. Never had an issue. The tank now has a pixi hawk, pajama cardinal, and a tomini tang all from my 120.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back