Correlation between Torch Thickness and Po4?

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In curious.....if torch tentacle/arm/sweeper thickness - has anything to do with Po4.

See...Ive seen friends tank with lower Po4 (under 0.1) and their torchs arms are much thinner. Now - I'm not talking about Indo vs Aussie - but my avg Po4 has always been higher and while my euphyllia (especially torchs) continue to do well - I've noticed extension isn't as long and arms are generally thicker.

Wondering if the consistently higher Po4 - is making torchs, less happy...than they could be.

Lights just went down in this pic....but torchs are generally full and happy. I dont stress No3 - as much as Po4. I've found Po4 to be the real coral killer/stressor.

My concern is just keeping Po4 off the floor.

This is a 300g system - 190g DT - 90g sump - 30g mangrove refugium. Feed homemade food, feed pretty heavy. So - bioload is higher.

20230205_182647.jpg Screenshot_20230205_182911_APEXFusion.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you mention it my phosphate has creeper up over the past 3 weeks. 2 of my gold torches now have much fatter shorter tentacles then they did before. My 24k and green torch stayed long though so possibly and indo ausi thing there with phosphate.

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you mention it my phosphate has creeper up over the past 3 weeks. 2 of my gold torches now have much fatter shorter tentacles then they did before. My 24k and green torch stayed long though so possibly and indo ausi thing there with phosphate.
Right?

All my torch corals are consistently thicker - than what I see around me. My "average" Po4 is a lot higher.

The length is there, but compared to others - about half the length. I'm starting to wonder that the consistent higher Po4 - is effecting.

Now - is this a bad thing? Like, I know my torchs are splitting. Are the thicker, less extended arms - a sign that the coral doesn't need to extend as much and sweep as much, for food? More food in the water - coral doesn't need to put as much energy into fighting or sweeping far, for food....?

Im fairly confident I have an Indo or two - lol, no idea how I'd inadvertently end up with all Aussie!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back