Could an anemone survive in my tank?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of getting an anemone form my pair of clowns. Tank is about 4 months old and I think my parameters are looking good. I have 2 hammer corals, 1 leather, 1 Duncan, and 1 frogspawn and they all open up every day. What nem do you recommend?

Parameters

Nitrate - 0ppm
Phosphate- 0 ppm
Salinity- 1.024
Magnesium - 1300ppm
Calcium - 444 ppm
Alkalinity- 9 dkh
pH - 8.0

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find out why your NO3 and PO4 are zeroed out first. Is your tank full of GHA? Then that is eating it up as soon as it appears. No algae but packed with coral (doesn't seem like it), then maybe your consumption is high. If you are battling algae, might want to wait for the tank to settle and mature first. Nems don't seem to do well with the nutrient/parameter swings that come with battling algae.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Nyos Nitrate+ and Phosphate+. But a good start would be to turn off your Reefmat. Others would say to feed more, or buy more fish (dunno about the latter). Did you start with dry rock?

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find out why your NO3 and PO4 are zeroed out first. Is your tank full of GHA? Then that is eating it up as soon as it appears. No algae but packed with coral (doesn't seem like it), then maybe your consumption is high. If you are battling algae, might want to wait for the tank to settle and mature first. Nems don't seem to do well with the nutrient/parameter swings that come with battling algae.
What is GHA? I just got over the ugly stage about a week ago. Algae is all gone now. I will test NO3 and PO4 when I get home.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is GHA? I just got over the ugly stage about a week ago. Algae is all gone now. I will test NO3 and PO4 when I get home.
Green hair algae. The ugly stage will almost certainly be back - it takes longer than 4 months. The uglies are regrouping...

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Nyos Nitrate+ and Phosphate+. But a good start would be to turn off your Reefmat. Others would say to feed more, or buy more fish (dunno about the latter). Did you start with dry rock?
Ok I will turn it off. I am getting more fish in about 2 weeks. They are in quarantine. I think I started with dry rock. It was the rock where the bacteria on it becomes live when it hits water.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the rock where the bacteria on it becomes live when it hits water.
That's a new one on me. I started with dry rock, and was later told that my constant battle to keep phosphate up was because the dry rock was ripping it out of the system.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a new one on me. I started with dry rock, and was later told that my constant battle to keep phosphate up was because the dry rock was ripping it out of the system.
I think I will order some of the Nyos Nitrate+ and Phosphate+. Hope that will help. If I get those 2 things up do you think I am ready for nems?

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will order some of the Nyos Nitrate+ and Phosphate+. Hope that will help. If I get those 2 things up do you think I am ready for nems?
I think your tank is way too young, to be honest. Wait until you can see coraline algae on your rocks, that, I'm told, is a good indicator that your tank has settled.

But hey, I'm a rookie too! Best to wait for an expert.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your tank is way too young, to be honest. Wait until you can see coraline algae on your rocks, that, I'm told, is a good indicator that your tank has settled.

But hey, I'm a rookie too! Best to wait for an expert.
Thanks for the advice

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you have? And what lighting? Instead of wasting money on chemicals add more fish and feed more if your nitrates and phosphates are truly zero… how are you testing? Hopefully not ati lol..

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you have? And what lighting? Instead of wasting money on chemicals add more fish and feed more if your nitrates and phosphates are truly zero… how are you testing? Hopefully not ati lol..
I have 2 clowns, 4 Kupang damsels, and 2 cleaner shrimp: I have 2 Red Sea 90 lights. I am using the Hanna testers

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns, 4 Kupang damsels, and 2 cleaner shrimp: I have 2 Red Sea 90 lights. I am using the Hanna testers
Should have asked what size tank it is also… seems like a small bioload unless it’s a small tank around 20 gallons or so… everything seems fine but your po4 and n03 which can be raised by adding a couple more fish and feeding more.. then I’d say you can give a bubble tip a shot if ya wanted..

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will turn it off. I am getting more fish in about 2 weeks. They are in quarantine. I think I started with dry rock. It was the rock where the bacteria on it becomes live when it hits water.
Is that Caribsea "Life" rock? That purple paint will never become live. But that doesn't matter. If you have fish and your tank is cycled, the bacterial population will do its own thing.

I lost 3 nems adding them too early. The clownfish-oriented nems need strong light and stable parameters or they will walk away underneath your rock and shrivel up. Rock flowers and maxi minis are a different story, but they don't host clowns.

Also, there is no guarantee that your clowns will take up residence in an anemone. Some do, some don't. Some take ages to finally decide to go inside a nem and stay there. So if you're getting them for the clowns, I'd say there is no rush.

A pic of the tank would be great help, too. We can usually see what the situation is like and get an idea of maturity.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have asked what size tank it is also… seems like a small bioload unless it’s a small tank around 20 gallons or so… everything seems fine but your po4 and n03 which can be raised by adding a couple more fish and feeding more.. then I’d say you can give a bubble tip a shot if ya wanted..
Tank is 90 gallons

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd avoid an Anemone at 4 mos. regardless of how stable your parameters appear. You'll have a much better success rate and higher survival rate for the nem if you hold off until 10 or 12 mos. Unfortunately this info is from experience.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably. They (bubbletips) are extremely hardy imo. Just feed the corals or fish more to correct for the 0 nitrate and phosphate (assuming the test kit is good/accurate with good range visibility).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back