Could this result in contamination?

Is there a liable risk to introducing rock from another tank where nothing wrong has been observed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering what the consensus is for my fish. I've had them well over a year and haven't added anything new in at least 6 months, probably longer than that (last thing was a frag of coral). I've read before that ick will die out on its own after 11 months if one has not added anything new (I'm assuming genetic inbreeding causes sterility after a time). Is this true for other parasites that might have come with the original fish? I am on the fence about adding some of that well-seeded rock to another, newer system to boost pod population. This could be considered an extended observation quarantine. Some reefers observe only and if nothing appears within a set time, the fish are introduced to the display. The fish are 2 skunks and a tail spot blenny, all fat and eating daily. Everyone also recent went through a move to another house 6 months ago and if anything would have caused stress (and a disease) to appear, I figure that would have been it. The newer system contains some of my other clowns, obtained directly from a breeder, and I know they are pest free. Just wondering if I'm worried about nothing or should I go about letting the rock with pods go fallow.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich can burn itself out after 4 years I believe and that's assuming you haven't added anything wet after that last fish. Anytime you add something that could have ich on it the clock starts over. I couldn't follow your post very well but it sounded like you have another tank to put the new live rock in. If that tank doesn't have any fish in it then you have nothing to worry about. Leave it fallow with the new rock and use it later. I dont think I would risk putting rock with unknown parasites possibly on it in a tank that I know is parasite free. Now, if you already have ick in your tank and your fish are living with it fine, then maybe you dont have to worry... then again, maybe there's something worse lurking on it like velvet. Just something to think about.... it entirely up to you in the end. :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would let the rocks sit fallow just to be on the safe side. Unless the fish in with the rock were meticulously QT'd. Ich (for example) can harbor inside a fish's gills, out of sight. It can come & go (in greatly reduced numbers) inside just the gills for months/years, and you may never seen visible physical symptoms on the skin.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must decide for yourself whose advice you wish to take. I will say not many seem able to duplicate Paul's success. ;)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must decide for yourself whose advice you wish to take. I will say not many seem able to duplicate Paul's success. ;)

That's because not many seem to be able to feed correctly. :eek:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt people have a much higher success rate with the alternative.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back