Counld FW dipping kill pyramid snails?

campaign000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams counld survive 20 mins fw dipping, how about pyramid snails? Have anyone tried?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not tried with a clam but if you pluck them off and drop them in tap water they die....

OP
OP
campaign000

campaign000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not tried with a clam but if you pluck them off and drop them in tap water they die....

I have more than a dozen of clams and some got pyramid snails, ime fighting against snails in the past months you cannot brush off all of them in one time. It's exhausted to get rid of the snails on several clams in the same time.
So I wonder if the fw dipping counld be a convenient way.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk how a clam would react.... #reefsquad

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does. We give ALL clams a 10 minute freshwater dip. They handle it like champs. You will be surprised at all the junk that comes off of them :)

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the clam is healthy they can handle a freshwater dip. If your main purpose is to get rid of pyramids then I'd recommend manual removal with a soft brush. I would not do multiple dips constantly on the clams just for pyramids. If you see pyramids on the clam then chances are there in the tank. If you have snails in the tank then I'd check them too. It's going to be a continuous battle unfortunately and constant freshwater dips could be way to stressful on the clam and after the dip the pyramids will come back.

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do it as a final step before placing them in their forever home. Was recommended to us by a clam breeder. We’ve dipped well over 50 clams now and it is one of the best things we started doing with clams :)

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do it as a final step before placing them in their forever home. Was recommended to us by a clam breeder. We’ve dipped well over 50 clams now and it is one of the best things we started doing with clams :)
I agree it can help but to do it continuously to rid them of pyramids, IMO could do more harm then good.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at your snails as well to make sure they are not harboring Pyramids.

Yes it does. We give ALL clams a 10 minute freshwater dip. They handle it like champs. You will be surprised at all the junk that comes off of them :)

This is excellent information.

OP
OP
campaign000

campaign000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did an experiment last night.
Put 2 pyramids in fw for 5 mins, then back to seawater, they survived. Immediately I did another 20 mins dipping with them, after which the 2 monsters were still alive. Tougher than we thought.
IT SUCKS!!!

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back