Cover for skimmer intake!

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found one of my BRAND NEW, idiotic chromis stuck (and dead) with his back half sticking out of the protein skimmer intake. I've clumsily covered it with cheesecloth and a rubber band because I'm halfway out the door, but I'm sure there must be a more elegant solution.

What is the best way to cover the intake to keep future fish from meeting their demise? Should I super glue mesh over it?!

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found one of my BRAND NEW, idiotic chromis stuck (and dead) with his back half sticking out of the protein skimmer intake. I've clumsily covered it with cheesecloth and a rubber band because I'm halfway out the door, but I'm sure there must be a more elegant solution.

What is the best way to cover the intake to keep future fish from meeting their demise? Should I super glue mesh over it?!

Sorry to hear about your new chromis. What kind of skimmer do you have? Might help us figure out a solution design if we can see what the intake looks like.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, I never seen a hob skimmer strong enough to gulp up a fish that wasn't already sick and dying.
What skimmer you running?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know how your intake looks, but if its a tube you could put a sponge on the end like this
1632523297316.png

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Model of skimmer? I had a blenny take the roller coaster ride down into the sump and venturi of my skimmer. Cover over the intake weir solved that.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the Macro Aqua M-50 Protein Skimmer.

This is what the intake looks like:

1632524495724.png

And with my half-booty cheesecloth cover while I ran an errand:

Cheesecloth Cover.jpg

When I first pulled the fish out, I lost my grip and it got sucked right back into the intake, so it's stronger than it looks! :oops:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the Macro Aqua M-50 Protein Skimmer.

This is what the intake looks like:

1632524495724.png

And with my half-booty cheesecloth cover while I ran an errand:

Cheesecloth Cover.jpg

When I first pulled the fish out, I lost my grip and it got sucked right back into the intake, so it's stronger than it looks! :oops:
Is the skimmer in your sump?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I looked up pictures and at first assumed the sponge I saw was on the intake but after watching a setup video I see that's probably the return side and it's there to stop bubbles from escaping. Seeing the actual configuration that's definitely a bit more complicated to put a guard on and I understand your challenge. Very unusual design.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I looked up pictures and at first assumed the sponge I saw was on the intake but after watching a setup video I see that's probably the return side and it's there to stop bubbles from escaping. Seeing the actual configuration that's definitely a bit more complicated to put a guard on and I understand your challenge. Very unusual design.
Exactly -- that's the return and to reduce microbubbles. The hose connects relatively close to the end of the intake, which is why I was thinking super glue or something. I had to disconnect the hose and feed it through the rubber band multiple times, underwater, on my tiptoes. LOL.

Whether I get a hose clamp, as @vetteguy53081 suggested, or go the zip tie or super glue route, I'm sure it will be easier when I'm not working underwater. Hopefully my rigged-up temporary solution will suffice for the night.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back