Cow fish?

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone keep this in their tanks? I think they are the coolest fish, but have heard they can take a whole tank down if they die.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are sweet fish,and I believe some are reef safe? The problem is is if they get stressed,punctured,beaten up,sick,etc. They release toxins and its basically a nuke in your tank.

I think if you have the right flow and fish combo they can be successfully kept in a tank

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about if you run carbon constantly? Will that reduce the effects?

Alattner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are sweet fish,and I believe some are reef safe? The problem is is if they get stressed,punctured,beaten up,sick,etc. They release toxins and its basically a nuke in your tank.

I think if you have the right flow and fish combo they can be successfully kept in a tank

holly cow and this will be the reason i will never own a cow fish. no point in losing your whole tank over one fish

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Longhorn Cowfish and a Cubicus Boxfish at the same time about 6 months ago in my 120. Both fish did not touch a single coral or invert, they ate like pigs too. They have the funniest and most curious personalities. I have heard that cowfish are very disease prone and when I woke up one morning the cowfish was dead. Nothing wrong with the rest of the tank tho. After the mourning process we got another one, after about 5 days we noticed him pecking at my Welso. We removed him and traded him to the LFS. The boxfish is doing fine and loving life.

Not sure if this will help your decision in getting one or not, just my experience with these funny little fish

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy how fish that are the same species can differ so greatly in their treatment of corals. Sorry for your loss though SD!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back