Cownose rays coral safe?

MaverickFalcon4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have been trying to think about what am I gonna do with my upcoming aquarium so I was thinking a couple of cownose rays to a large sps reef of around 50k gallons. And before you start thinking I’m crazy... no I’m seriously asking as I can’t find any info on the web. Also if this is a bad idea tell me so.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing you are speaking of rays in the genus Rhinoptera? They are not coral reef dwellings naturally, so they cannot navigate structure very well. I think they would tend to blunder into the coral structure, damaging themselves and the coral. I have cownose in two exhibits, a touch tank and a 30,000 gallon tank. Both exhibits are fitted with rounded boulders and sand only.

Jay

OP
OP
MaverickFalcon4

MaverickFalcon4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing you are speaking of rays in the genus Rhinoptera? They are not coral reef dwellings naturally, so they cannot navigate structure very well. I think they would tend to blunder into the coral structure, damaging themselves and the coral. I have cownose in two exhibits, a touch tank and a 30,000 gallon tank. Both exhibits are fitted with rounded boulders and sand only.

Jay
thanks for the advice. But i must ask im not sure if the blundering into corals is gonna be a problem as the aquascape planned leaves about 2m worth of swimming space form the top of the corals to the surface of the water. I hope this gives you a better understanding of the idea. But if you feel that such an arrangement is not a good idea do let me know, im all ears.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back