Crab ID- Living in Coral/Zoa Colony

amdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me ID this crab and is it coral safe? I noticed my zoas have been looking poor and dissapearing and not sure if this guy is to blame. Video is attached along with some photos.

cheers 3E94195E-2678-45E9-AAAE-DDF59A2EFA4F.jpeg 466511AE-AC96-44E1-BFBC-2D22E57A4875.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6051.MOV
    29 MB

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

try these as I had the same problem and nice people posted these for me... I kept losing zoas, yellows first then once they were gone others started disappearing.. imo in the future my tank is a no crab zone.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

try these as I had the same problem and nice people posted these for me... I kept losing zoas, yellows first then once they were gone others started disappearing.. imo in the future my tank is a no crab zone.
crabs definitely can be questionable. I got lucky and got a nice emerald crab that only eats bubble algae but I know there are plenty of bad experiences.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a small gorilla crab before it gets bigger and hairier. Pulled a few of these from mine. Black tip pointy claws--not a good sign.

I had luck giving mine away to local reefers with a sump for castaways, so I didn't have to kill them--they came a long way on an airplane after all :)

wwarby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a red eyed reef crab to me. I had one as a hitchhiker recently. Check if it has red eyes.

OP
OP
A

amdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for this. I think it is a Xanthid species. Better that I get it out. On another hitchhiker note, I realized I got a mantis shrimp on my hands. Now thats going to be a project to extract out of the tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.8%
Back