OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. I am stuck on learning about algae. I have this dark red,purple,brown,and green algae between the sandbed and the substrate. I scrape the brown/green from the 4 glass sides that are above the sandbox

Your,tank just looks,so clean but your corals look huge and the sand is pristine how do you keep it,as,so
A very good clean up crew, plus my power heads keep the sand bed pretty well stirred up. And I have a fuge full of chaeto sonstuffndoesnt get a big chance to grow in the display

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your line-up for ideal cuc
I have alot of sand stirring snails. A couple of turbo snails. Some cerith snails, hermit crabs, nerite snails. It's from a clean up crew kit i got from www.reefcleaners.org you pick what size tank and it tells you what kind of crew you should get and then you can order it :)

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a member here for a while now, and I figured now's the time to contribute my build thread.

I have a 40G Breeder Aqueon aquarium consisting of mixed corals. No fish at the current moment per my post history. But fish will be coming in a few months.
It has an Aqueon Proflex 2 sump with two 4" filter socks, a refugium, a Reef Octoups 110INT skimmer, an Eheim Classic 3000 return pump and a 300 Watt titanium heater. Its supplied water via an Eshopps PF300 Continuous siphon overflow, hard plumbed to the sump.
The refugium is lit by a Kessil H80 set to bloom mode at 100% intensity.
The heater is controlled by a JBJ TrueTemp controller.
The display tank consists of two Vortech MP10's set to reefcrest mode opposite of eachother.
The tank is lit by a pair of Kessil A360WE's mounted on Kessil's 90 degree mounting arms controlled by my Bluefish LED controller. I also have two Current TrueLumen LED pods for lunar cycles which is also controlled by my Bluefish.
I have an acrylic 5 gallon ATO with a Smart ATO.
My corals consist of:
Jedi Mind Trick Montipora
Rainbow Montipora
Reverse Superman Montipora
Superman Montipora
Red Cap Montipora
Sunset Montipora
Tri-Color Acropora
Strawberry Shortcake Acropora
GARF Bonsai Acropora
Green Candy Cane
Purple Candy Cane
Galaxea Coral
Purple Mushrooms
Red Mushrooms
Green Tyree Toadstool
Green Star Polyps
Green pocillopora
Purple Birdsnest
Jack-O-Lantern Leptoseris
Hammer Coral
Duncan Coral
Mixed Zoanthids

My cleanup crew consists of:
Skunk cleaner shrimp
Blood red fire shrimp
Turbo Snails
Nerite snails
Blue legged hermit crabs

QIH75Yrl.jpg

1DehPvdl.jpg

Older picture, some of the coral are no longer and more are added since this picture.
odTKxIjl.jpg

Dr2E2hBl.jpg

s4qXpprl.jpg

AIU1QUEl.jpg

lULrtr0l.jpg

FLVkiJTl.jpg

gX2uVxol.jpg

p7JA4epl.jpg

YjAmByml.jpg

Owp3ZTfl.jpg

nC9OVC0l.jpg

CaYTtp4l.jpg

oqh3412l.jpg

iTrF4u9l.jpg

lYuojCGl.jpg

nIdDudgl.jpg

ortuT0Al.jpg

68mBWkjl.jpg

z8G9ohGl.jpg

04L8fwsl.jpg

T3qDDG9l.jpg
Very nice ! I like it !

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity what salt mix do you use, and do you like it?
I was using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. But switched to Fritz Reef Pro Mix. Mixes better and more stable parameters.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing! I'm sold on kessil man. If we don't end up going with new halides and T5 I'm gonna make a switch to kessil. I love how they look and I like how there simple. Your growth and color is impressive.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is on and working!!
Home and ready to go
v8IFQMsl.jpg

Right out of the box
SLSDHVul.jpg

Hanging Kit on
2nAKgqvl.jpg

Side brackets on and AP700 mounted next comes the bulbs
j4Wb5b3l.jpg

Lights on, blue and coral +
jr2wQz0l.jpg

Blue and purple
c5WMEpAl.jpg

Bulbs on kessil off
WGmDF1nl.jpg

All lights on
JQP0YFEl.jpg

Resting on the tank waiting to be hung, WAKE UP EVERYONE!
fx0mHG7l.jpg

Hung, light sits 11 inches off the waters surface
qOJ9feXl.jpg

Hanging kit
pb3obUnl.jpg

Hung and lights on
y48bSoxl.jpg

Old post but I’m catching up so bear with me[emoji6]. You would think that Aqiatic life would put all of the wires into 1 heat shrink cord to plug in. 3 cords is a little unnecessary IMO. Maybe if you zip-tie’d them all together it would look better?

-Zack, thinking out loud

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ap700 and one side cord zip tied together. And the other side runs to the back, I haven't gotten around to putting them all together yet, it's on my to do list lol. But yes three cords is a little unnecessary. What I would have done is have one cord come out of the rear fixture, and have a jumper cord go on the inside of the bracket from one fixture to the other through holes that would have to be drilled, and use a rubber plug to cap off the hole where the cord originally ran, then I would tap into the power wires going to the rear fixture. Does anyone know if one power cord can run the two drivers? I can't imagine it wouldn't be able to #reefsquad anyone know?
Something similar to this. Don't want to attempt it if one power cord cannot supply ample power to two drivers :)
aquatic-life-t5-ho-hybrid-4-lamp-mounting-system-fixture-97e.jpg

Old post but I’m catching up so bear with me
emoji6.png
. You would think that Aqiatic life would put all of the wires into 1 heat shrink cord to plug in. 3 cords is a little unnecessary IMO. Maybe if you zip-tie’d them all together it would look better?

-Zack, thinking out loud

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ap700 and one side cord zip tied together. And the other side runs to the back, I haven't gotten around to putting them all together yet, it's on my to do list lol. But yes three cords is a little unnecessary. What I would have done is have one cord come out of the rear fixture, and have a jumper cord go on the inside of the bracket from one fixture to the other through holes that would have to be drilled, and use a rubber plug to cap off the hole where the cord originally ran, then I would tap into the power wires going to the rear fixture. Does anyone know if one power cord can run the two drivers? I can't imagine it wouldn't be able to #reefsquad anyone know?
Something similar to this. Don't want to attempt it if one power cord cannot supply ample power to two drivers :)
aquatic-life-t5-ho-hybrid-4-lamp-mounting-system-fixture-97e.jpg

It’s essentialy a “Split up 4 bulb fixture”. I would imagine you can hook them both together.

-Zack

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is someone on here that did a DIY on one and did just that..... now to find it
That would be great! I'm not shy of a little DIY, and i'm very familiar with soldering and wiring, but not all that great when it comes to power supplies and their electrical current needs :) So i'd feel better trying this if someone else has already successfully done it.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back