Cracked tank only one side of the panel

U.P.Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm working on a build of a 75 gallon reef tank and I just finished drilling it at my local fish store. Because I do business there often he let me use his equipment to drill the tank. It went fine, brought it home and started getting plumbing ready. I wanted to paint the back glass black so I was cleaning the back panel and I noticed that the hole for my return had a crack coming from it. It's enough to where I can feel it only with my nail bit my nail doesn't catch. On the opposite side of the panel I cant feel a thing and it's clear that the crack does not go through the panel entirely. Is there anyone out there that has experienced a similar effect? What was your experience? Did it grow, stay the same, or did it completely fail. I feel that it's safe and am going to fill the tank and let it sit for a couple days before attempting to set the tank up. I'll attach a picture. I know there will be people that will say replace the tank or panel but I'm looking for anyone that has rode the line, took the chance/played devil's advocate, Russian roulette etc.
IMG_20180223_135908222.jpg
IMG_20180223_135831717.jpg

OP
OP
U.P.Guy

U.P.Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't lie it's sketching me out. I have it filled next to a floor drain in the basement. I'll leave it for a while to see what happens. It's just a bummer i guess.

OP
OP
U.P.Guy

U.P.Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I want to keep you guys updated so, I had that tank filled with water in a safe location. The crack did begin to grow and spread in new directions so It has been emptied. The current plan (because I built a new stand and have spent money on this build is to try to replace the panel. Does anyone have advice for replacing a panel? I'll have the glass shop cut the appropriate sized glass and drill it for me but I could use advice for removing the black bracing and how to cut out the panel.

LPStandard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I want to keep you guys updated so, I had that tank filled with water in a safe location. The crack did begin to grow and spread in new directions so It has been emptied. The current plan (because I built a new stand and have spent money on this build is to try to replace the panel. Does anyone have advice for replacing a panel? I'll have the glass shop cut the appropriate sized glass and drill it for me but I could use advice for removing the black bracing and how to cut out the panel.
Seems like a lot of work. Is it a standard 75g? They're fairly easy to come by I would think.

OP
OP
U.P.Guy

U.P.Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of work. Is it a standard 75g? They're fairly easy to come by I would think.

You think it's too much? I'm just looking at a cost perspective. I keep my ears open on the forms but it's hard to find something close enough to me. And hell, why not give something a try. If it saves money and I learn in the process, why not

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think it's too much? I'm just looking at a cost perspective. I keep my ears open on the forms but it's hard to find something close enough to me. And hell, why not give something a try. If it saves money and I learn in the process, why not
where are you at? you might save some but by the time you buy the glass and silicon you are close to what a new tank costs

OP
OP
U.P.Guy

U.P.Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where are you at? you might save some but by the time you buy the glass and silicon you are close to what a new tank costs
I'm in Michigan upper panisula, I could maybe find a used tank for a comparable cost but deffinetly not a new one for the same price. A new pain is like 60 bucks silicone is around 5 bucks so it's hard to beat 65 bucks to fix it. But, I do see where your coming from. A used 75 gal I could probably pick up for 100 bucks.

OP
OP
U.P.Guy

U.P.Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also it's not really a standard 75 it's tall and wide, kinda more set up for a reef system.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Michigan upper panisula, I could maybe find a used tank for a comparable cost but deffinetly not a new one for the same price. A new pain is like 60 bucks silicone is around 5 bucks so it's hard to beat 65 bucks to fix it. But, I do see where your coming from. A used 75 gal I could probably pick up for 100 bucks.
The reason I asked is I have a 90 but your too far away

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The cost and labor to replace the panel, IMO, isn't worth it.

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust it but i'd personally keep the tank and if i have the extra time and money i'd purchase a slab of glass and see if i could disassemble and fix it myself. Why trash it when you could turn it into a learning experience.

OP
OP
U.P.Guy

U.P.Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust it but i'd personally keep the tank and if i have the extra time and money i'd purchase a slab of glass and see if i could disassemble and fix it myself. Why trash it when you could turn it into a learning experience.
That's what I've been thinking, I love to tinker with stuff i.e Rebuild engines (anyone else like powersportsknow what I'm talking about.. gota love two strokes) ,work on my vehicle etc.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I’m in Idaho but I was at my lfs and they have a used 90 gallon tank already drilled and set for salt water for 70 dollars. That’s pretty cheap.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back