Crashing Tank looking for input!

CessnaMedic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all! Until today I have been using this forum as a read only have have not participated! I mean after all I think every topic under our artificial suns have been discussed! I finally bit the bullet and started this account because the tank beneath my artificial sun is not doing well! o_O In the past week I have lost three fish, all my Zoas, my anemone, GSP (yes really GSP) about 1/2 of my cleanup crew: emerald crabs, hermits, snails, and all the Coraline that is growing on the back wall is losing its color. I have not been doing anything different. All parameters are within check and I have mailed in and am awaiting the test results of a mail in ICP Aquarium test manufactured and tested by ATI. I do water changes every week using Coral Pro reef salts and I ensure the salinity of the salt matches the salinity of my tank. This past week I have done 20% water changes every 3 days working on replacing all the water in my tank with fresh water. ANY comments or ideas would be great! I am a Powder Brown tang away from tossing the whole tank and starting anew.

Test Results as of today 7/19 using Red Sea Test Kits
- Calcium - 480
- Magnesium - 1360
- Salinity - 1.025
- Nitrate - 0.04
- Phosphate - 0.25
- pH - 8.0 (two weeks old I am out of pH tests)
- dKh - 8.4

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly welcome to R2R.....Before you throw the fish out with the bath water, I'm sure very knowledgeable people will be a long to help

giphy.gif

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun..
here is where the help part kicks in ..pic of tank ,any ideas what happened,chemical spray,cleaning agent,???

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, sorry to hear about the tank troubles. Have you checked for stray voltage or any chemicals/metals leeching into the water?

If you have a multimeter I would check thevoltage of thewater just to be sure that you don’t have anything energizing the tank. And then check with anyone in the household and ask if they’ve done any cleaning around the tank.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am sorry to hear about your losses, but we're glad you're here.

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd be doing 20% water changes daily if possible. ICP tests are overrated, lots of things that it won't detect. And regardless of what contaminant you have the best course of action is large water changes. Activated carbon or other chemical filtration like purit wouldnt hurt either.

Edit: Large water changes could be bad if the contaminant is in your rodi water or salt mix. Pretty unlikely to be the salt, but have you tested your rodi water recently?

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe wait for the ICP tests before doing anything drastic and see if it shows up something.

Your phosphate is very high at 0.25, a good target is around 0.03 so I would get that lowered asap as it can cause all sorts of issues

Welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
CessnaMedic

CessnaMedic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, sorry to hear about the tank troubles. Have you checked for stray voltage or any chemicals/metals leeching into the water?

If you have a multimeter I would check thevoltage of thewater just to be sure that you don’t have anything energizing the tank. And then check with anyone in the household and ask if they’ve done any cleaning around the tank.

I have used a multimeter as the last time I had issues (closed corals and a kole tang death) a cheap and broken power head was to blame! Thanks for the thought!!!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back