Crazing on Acrylic Enclosure

Militaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've accidentally wiped an acrylic enclosure with a 70% Alcohol Solution on the inside and outside, and after that some crazing happened, and the internal surface got hazy. I knew beforehand that alcohol was not a good match for acrylic, but I thought that just wiping the surface with a little amount of alcohol wouldn't be an issue.

This enclosure is used to house electronic components and dielectric oil ( a synthetic Esther) for my experiments in a laboratory . The oil heats up to 70 degrees Celsius( 158 Fahrenheit) due to the power dissipation of the electronic components. The exterior of the enclosure is cooled by circulating water at 10 degrees Celsius( 50 Fahrenheit) - the 0.7 m (2.3 ft)tall enclosure is inside a 1.2 m(4 ft) aquarium filled with water.

The pressure difference between the inside and outside of the enclosure is 12 in of water( about 0.4 psi). The enclosure wall is 10 mm thick ( 3/8" ).

My question is, can I continue using the enclosure for the experiments, or should I replace it ?

20230615_111536.jpg
20230615_111529.jpg
20230615_111510.jpg
20230615_111501.jpg
20230615_111433.jpg
20230615_111416.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:worried-face: You might try buffing a small area out with Novus 3 then Novus 2 to see if that will make it an clearer. Structurally for the amount of water that's in it you should be fine using it but check it closelty to make sure all ther is is surface crazing and not any cracks that penetrate into the acrylic.

OP
OP
M

Militaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:worried-face: You might try buffing a small area out with Novus 3 then Novus 2 to see if that will make it an clearer. Structurally for the amount of water that's in it you should be fine using it but check it closelty to make sure all ther is is surface crazing and not any cracks that penetrate into the acrylic.
Thank you for the advice. I"ll try to buff it out using some sort of scratch removal/polisher for acrylic( unfortunately Novus 2 and 3 are not available on my country).

I saw at some threads people recommending sandpaper to polish the acrylic to remove the crazing( starting with a coarser grit and finishing with a finer one), but I think that will be a lot of work, since the enclosure is big.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I typically buff with 1200 grade sand sheets then Novus for finessing it

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back