Crazy High Aluminum? How to resolve?

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! We recently sent out ICP tests for two of our systems that weren't doing great and this is what the results looked like. Most of the "issues" are quick little trace element fixes but the main concern I'm having is the aluminum through the roof! I'm fairly sure its coming from the media blocks in use in those systems. How can I remove aluminum? Additionally, the chrome on one of the systems is very high. Where can chrome come into play here? I'm not sure how it got in the tank.
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 9.45.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 9.45.13 AM.png

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was from marine pure bio balls. Folks say anecdotal, those things leeched aluminum and copper. That’s the only thing I changed, prob solved and verified with new test. your mileage may vary.

OP
OP
REEFTIDE

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was from marine pure bio balls. Folks say anecdotal, those things leeched aluminum and copper. That’s the only thing I changed, prob solved and verified with new test. your mileage may vary.
We'll likely slowly remove them and do some water changes we use the brightwell aquatics media bricks but I'm sure they're probably the same as the marine pure bricks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why use any white ceramic media? Most are aluminum-containing.

That said, your levels were not high enough to cause issues in my tests, and I would not assume that's the issue. However, it might be and it is worth reducing it.

OP
OP
REEFTIDE

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That said, your levels were not high enough to cause issues in my tests, and I would not assume that's the issue. However, it might be and it is worth reducing it.
We use lots of white ceramic media and this was after a couple large water changes(not sure if that may have helped?) We did have a lot of SPS loss in that tank recently.
Any thoughts on the chrome issue?

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed I thought I was being a diligent reefer by adding them. Actually more of a headache, now just live rock, fuge, skimmer , lesson learned

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Marine Pure Brick in my tank and can't figure out for the life of me what is going on with my system. I am starting to wonder based on other things I have read on the forum if this is the culprit. I did an ICP test (granted it was a cheapo version and it didn't show any aluminum) however, I think it has to be that as all other water parameters are near perfect.

OP
OP
REEFTIDE

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Marine Pure Brick in my tank and can't figure out for the life of me what is going on with my system. I am starting to wonder based on other things I have read on the forum if this is the culprit. I did an ICP test (granted it was a cheapo version and it didn't show any aluminum) however, I think it has to be that as all other water parameters are near perfect.
Thats the same issue we were having and its come to be the only real problem I can find with the system

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I did not test on SPS corals since the historically known effect of elevated aluminum was primarily on leather corals, but here are my tests showing what levels of aluminum caused an issue:

OP
OP
REEFTIDE

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I did not test on SPS corals since the historically known effect of elevated aluminum was primarily on leather corals, but here are my tests showing what levels of aluminum caused an issue:

Do you know what may be the cause of the chrome issue?
Thank you for the article. I appreciate it!

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if Brightwell's Xport-NO3 or Seachem's Matrix contains aluminum? I'm mostly suspicious of the Xport-NO3 since it looks like a ceramic-like material. (Matrix is stone-like, similar to zeolite).

A recent Triton test reported Al at 104 ug/l. But 8 days earlier, ATI reported zero so i have to question the accuracy of these tests Nothing was added during that 8-day period. Both products were introduced 4-5 weeks earlier.

Thank you.

OP
OP
REEFTIDE

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if Brightwell's Xport-NO3 or Seachem's Matrix contains aluminum? I'm mostly suspicious of the Xport-NO3 since it looks like a ceramic-like material. (Matrix is stone-like, similar to zeolite).

A recent Triton test reported Al at 104 ug/l. But 8 days earlier, ATI reported zero so i have to question the accuracy of these tests Nothing was added during that 8-day period. Both products were introduced 4-5 weeks earlier.

Thank you.
We were using brightwell Xport and marine pure so while I cannot say for sure that they do, they could have

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had high aluminum in both of my tank. One had marinepure and brightwell block, the other has only brightwell block.

Masons Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use lots of white ceramic media and this was after a couple large water changes(not sure if that may have helped?) We did have a lot of SPS loss in that tank recently.
Any thoughts on the chrome issue?
Hello Reeftide I have just picked up on this thread as my ICP tests have shown high AI, I to have Marine Pure blocks. The only puzzling issue for me is my system is 704L and conducted 540L water change and the AI has gone from 195,92 up to 290,14 (tests only 4 weeks apart)? I was expecting the level to drop any ideas would be great fully received

OP
OP
REEFTIDE

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reeftide I have just picked up on this thread as my ICP tests have shown high AI, I to have Marine Pure blocks. The only puzzling issue for me is my system is 704L and conducted 540L water change and the AI has gone from 195,92 up to 290,14 (tests only 4 weeks apart)? I was expecting the level to drop any ideas would be great fully received
Have you removed that marine pure blocks?
I would check your source water and a fresh mix of salt to rule out contamination. We vacuumed out the entire sump of the system as sometimes theres debris that remains and did heavy water changes. The SPS in these tanks seems to be doing better but we're still waiting on ICP to return

Masons Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you removed that marine pure blocks?
I would check your source water and a fresh mix of salt to rule out contamination. We vacuumed out the entire sump of the system as sometimes theres debris that remains and did heavy water changes. The SPS in these tanks seems to be doing better but we're still waiting on ICP to return
Hello - thank you for your help and your time.
I haven't removed the Marine Pure as I would have expected the AI to lower with the large water change of 540L on a 704L aquarium if this was the course of contamination. My RODI water is 0 TDS I can only conclude the only source is as you asked the salt mix unfortunately I have used all of the 25kg bucket so can proof 100% this was contaminated.
I have just purchased a new bucket of the slat if you where me would you get an ICP test done on this bucket or conduct a large water change first then ICP test?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - thank you for your help and your time.
I haven't removed the Marine Pure as I would have expected the AI to lower with the large water change of 540L on a 704L aquarium if this was the course of contamination. My RODI water is 0 TDS I can only conclude the only source is as you asked the salt mix unfortunately I have used all of the 25kg bucket so can proof 100% this was contaminated.
I have just purchased a new bucket of the slat if you where me would you get an ICP test done on this bucket or conduct a large water change first then ICP test?

Salt mixes are not generally a source of high aluminum.

I would not assume that all of the aluminum released to an aquarium is just floating around. A lot of it may be temporarily bound to calcium carbonate surfaces and organics. When you replace the tank water, these come back off by Le Chatlier's Principle.

That is most readily seen by reefers with phosphate on calcium carbonate surfaces, but it is expected to happen with metals as well.

I do not know if that is what happened in this case, but water changes not producing a big drop does not necessarily implicate the salt mix.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back