Creature - ID please

SouL_Shaker

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2015
Messages
243
Reaction score
32
Location
istanbul
Rating - 0%
0   0   0



I've seen a new creature inside the live rock. I wonder what this is. Looks like tarantula. Black white legged. And similar to pistol shrimp's hands with purple color. And lots of antenna.
 
It's definitely a crab but without seeing the body I am not skilled enough to identify it :/
 
Is it harmful to environment ?

You'll get differing opinions on that. The common consensus is they're reef safe. they mainly eat algae but I've seen reports of them attacking fish when they get really large but I think that's a fairly rare occurrence. I've personally seen them go after hermits and actually got it on film.
 
You'll get differing opinions on that. The common consensus is they're reef safe. they mainly eat algae but I've seen reports of them attacking fish when they get really large but I think that's a fairly rare occurrence. I've personally seen them go after hermits and actually got it on film.

Is it better not to have them ? Or are they as beneficial as bristle worms ?
 
Is it better not to have them ? Or are they as beneficial as bristle worms ?

In my opinion they're not as beneficial as bristleworms as a CUC member but it really depends on the behavior of the crab as to whether they're worth having. Like most anything else each one is different. You may have a model citizen that eats nothing but algae and leftover food. I would just keep an eye on it and if it gets out of line get it out.
 
In my opinion they're not as beneficial as bristleworms as a CUC member but it really depends on the behavior of the crab as to whether they're worth having. Like most anything else each one is different. You may have a model citizen that eats nothing but algae and leftover food. I would just keep an eye on it and if it gets out of line get it out.
Does it harm corals and adult clown fish ?
 
You should also try to get a better picture of it. If it's not a Mithrax it could be something much more dangerous.
 
Probably not. How big is the crab?
1 cm.

I also put purple reef lobster into 200gallon tank & he is totally reef safe.

On the other hand other purple reef lobster inside the nano ate whatever I put into tank. Around 7 clown fish and 5 fridmani in a year.
 
It looks like my emerald crabs. I have three and think that they add interest to the aquarium. To make sure that they don't eat my corals, I give them those algae pellets that they sell in a bag at Petsmart. I have even pretty much handed a pellet to a crab when he was picking at a rock near the surface. They love those pellets.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new