0   0   0
Oops, accidental post

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth I agree with trying Epsom salt, but stay the course with the 3 antibiotics meds. That's probably the only thing that can help get the infection under control and save him now.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth I agree with trying Epsom salt, but stay the course with the 3 antibiotics meds. That's probably the only thing that can help get the infection under control and save him now.

Yep, I'm actually thinking about running the three meds for 12-14 days to be safe.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I'm actually thinking about running the three meds for 12-14 days to be safe.

BigThumbsUp.gif

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhomboid is a little better. The swelling on his face has gone down a good amount, and he ate a bit more today. New development though, a wound or maybe a bruise near the base of his tail? I'll try to get a picture tomorrow, but think small round lump. Infection still or maybe aggression?

Also, my smaller clown has had this white goatee thing going on for a while now. Originally, I thought maybe it was crypto or lymph because it was just a small dot. Then it grew, and I thought definitely lympho. Then it stayed, and I thought maybe it's part of this bacterial mess. Now, it's still there...maybe a tad larger...and possibly spreading. You can see the new spot right above his fin (in his black coloring) in this picture.

a1357cf81fd0357a806e0040d12dc116.jpg

So talk to me about brooklynella. It's the only parasite I haven't encountered yet with this group of fish...so naturally it has to pop up eventually, right? But, considering Im on my SECOND course of Metroplex with this QT...is it possible that it could still be the issue? Also, where the rhomboid swelling seems to be improving...the flame wrasse still has hazy white scales, which I have thought were kind of brook-like also.

I'm continuing with the antibiotics, but just thinking out loud since I can't seem to nail down what is going on with these fish [emoji31]

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clownfish pimples! ugh. they suck. I've treated these with kanaplex and metroplex...sometimes I've added in furan2 if I had it available. I will say that I think that is what this is.... it's been a while since I had to deal with this in person.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth Treating with metro should address the possibility of brook. I agree with Meredith about this being a "clownfish pimple", which is probably something bacterial in nature.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so maybe it is the same bacterial nonsense as the others. I'm on day 6 of using the three antibiotics (metro, kanaplex, furan-2) is there a point where I should think "Man, this really should be clearing up by now.."?

I'm thinking of pulling both wrasses and the clown for another rally bath if it's not getting better soon. Maybe by the weekend?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so maybe it is the same bacterial nonsense as the others. I'm on day 6 of using the three antibiotics (metro, kanaplex, furan-2) is there a point where I should think "Man, this really should be clearing up by now.."?

I'm thinking of pulling both wrasses and the clown for another rally bath if it's not getting better soon. Maybe by the weekend?

IME; if it doesn't at least start to look better after 10 days, then the antibiotics you are using aren't helping...

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm hoping everything will be cleared up soon...but the part of me that likes to be prepared isn't biting. I have a feeling the treatment is maintaining the infection, but not actually curing it.

So, hypothetically if I finish 12 days of the current meds and they still have symptoms, what would be your next line of attack?

I'm thinking one of the following:
1. Erythromycin (I have it)
2. API Triple sulpha (or SulphaPlex?)/ neoplex (I have the neoplex and can easily get one of the others)
3. Nitrofuracin green (would have to order)

It's been a while since I ordered from NFP, does anyone know their approximate turn-around time from order to delivery?
@Humblefish

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pros & cons to each of these, so let's break it down:
1. Erythromycin (I have it)

Relatively mild antibiotic and great for eye infections, but only treats gram positive bacteria.

2. API Triple sulpha (or SulphaPlex?)/ neoplex (I have the neoplex and can easily get one of the others)

One of these would probably be my next choice, but only because they are completely different than the drugs you are currently using.

3. Nitrofuracin green (would have to order)

I was having phenomenal success with this one before I had to abandon experimentation. However, it already contains one antibiotic which might not be getting the job done for you - Nitrofurazone. The other listed ingredients are: Sulfathiazole Sodium (one the sulfa drugs), Methylene Blue (helps heal the skin) and sodium chloride.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, thinking of going the way of Sulphaplex/Neoplex...I recall you mentioning someone having success with these together. What do you think? Anything I should know before giving it a try?

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, thinking of going the way of Sulpaplex/Neoplex...I recall you mentioning someone having success with these together. What do you think? Anything I should know before giving it a try?

You can combine them, but sulfa drugs can be harsh on certain fish - expect appetite suppression. o_O

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can combine them, but sulfa drugs can be harsh on certain fish - expect appetite suppression. o_O

Considering the flame wrasse is kind of sensitive...and the regal angel is FINALLY eating like a normal fish...bad idea? I'll try another rally bath for all three afflicted fish this weekend and just keep on with the current meds for a full 14 days first.

Also, I do have methylene blue...I could try that as a bath instead of the rally to try something "different" to get ahead of this thing.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the flame wrasse is kind of sensitive...and the regal angel is FINALLY eating like a normal fish...bad idea? I'll try another rally bath for all three afflicted fish this weekend and just keep on with the current meds for a full 14 days first.

I think I would try just Neoplex (for now) and put sulfa on hold.

Also, I do have methylene blue...I could try that as a bath instead of the rally to try something "different" to get ahead of this thing.

That's not a bad idea. MB does have some anti-bacterial properties to it. I'm going to be experimenting with H2O2 in the future, since it is also an antiseptic I feel can be used as a bath treatment.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed my water change and dosing last night because we weren't home, so I did it this morning. I'm thinking it should be fine, since I'm already past 10 days and headed into "overtime" to finish this thing off.

Decided to go ahead and do the MB bath. The rhomboid was being a little jerk and wouldn't let me get him, so I'm only doing the flame wrasse and clownfish. The rhomboid seems to be responding pretty well to the antibiotics anyway, I figured it wasn't worth it to stress him too bad trying to get him. I'll see if the other two look any different tomorrow and decide if it's worth it to try again.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flame wrasse is acting a little stressed after the bath, breathing pretty heavily.

He looked ok during, I didn't notice this until I put him back in the QT. The clownfish looks fine. Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind, I think he's fine. I swear, if you could ever label a fish as a "drama queen" this one would take the crown...

Last edited:
OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, everyone is back to normal today after the bath, but it didn't really make a difference on the appearance of either fish. So, I'm going to just wait the next few days while I finish up the current antibiotics to re-evaluate and pick my next move. The thing on the clown's chin is still growing, it looks like a big white beard...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back