Crystal clear: What is your opinion of acrylic reef tanks?

What is your opinion of acrylic reef tanks?

• Acrylic tanks are my preference

Votes: 47 12.1%
  • Acrylic tanks have their place for certain applications

Votes: 117 30.1%
  • I don’t have a preference (glass or acrylic is okay)

Votes: 71 18.3%
  • Acrylic tanks would be my last option

Votes: 147 37.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.8%

• Total voters

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of use the plastic long scraper to hold a magic eraser on the pane for harder to reach areas

i did the same but:
1. the sponge doesn't remove corallines
2. sponge break easily, if i attach to the scraper

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ther eare applications where acrylic is the obvious choice over glass. However, acrylic is a lot harder to keep clean and as mentioned above urchins, as well as some fish, are not good choices for live stock.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are applications where acrylic is the obvious choice over glass. However, acrylic is a lot harder to keep clean and as mentioned above urchins, as well as some fish, are not good choices for live stock.
How big was your acrylic tank and what problems did you have with it?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big was your acrylic tank and what problems did you have with it?

Various sizes up to 800 gallons. I'd estimate it takes 3-4 times longer keeping it clean than glass and coraline is even longer. Urchins are pretty much precluded as they will scratch acrylic (Tuxedo is the only one I haven't had issues with). I saw one scratched up pretty bad by a trigger who got excited whenever it saw it's owner thinking it was getting fed.

But there are applications where only acrylic will work.

MVC-008E.JPG

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread... been mulling whether to try acrylic for next upgrade of 150+G tank (for durability) but was put off by the large "euro bracing" type of frame I've seen on all acrylic tanks. Looks like it would be cumbersome to put hand in tank for maintenance. Anyone know any brands that do not use them or are they a must for acrylic tanks?

2023-03-03_10-07-45.jpg

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don’t want a glass tank for free! Been using acrylic for about 35 years, have tanks that are over 20yrs old and can look brand new!
IMO, most people that don’t like acrylic have never had one, while acrylic owners have had glass, but now would never go back.
Glass scratches are forever!
Good to know. I just ventured and was gifted a 180g peninsula acrylic tank. In your opinion how would you approach my new to be build and aby advise would be greatly appreciated.
I plan to buy sealant after it's cleaned up and then buff it out before setting it up as a FOWLR tank. Also debating if to use it as bare bottom and or w/sand but leaning to bare bottom.
Any if all help from all experienced reefers and non refers alike would be very helpful. Thanks in advanced.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread... been mulling whether to try acrylic for next upgrade of 150+G tank (for durability) but was put off by the large "euro bracing" type of frame I've seen on all acrylic tanks. Looks like it would be cumbersome to put hand in tank for maintenance. Anyone know any brands that do not use them or are they a must for acrylic tanks?

2023-03-03_10-07-45.jpg
I didn't even think about that! Again glass for me

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight junk. After doing maintenance on and off for 30 years I’ve never seen a good looking one after 6-7 years in service.

If you move semi regularly it makes sense, otherwise deal w/moving it one time and be done.
This is the correct answer.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2023-03-03_10-07-45.jpg
This is the proper design for acrylic aquariums. This is not a euro brace but a solid sheet with routed out access openings. Euro braces are strips of acrylic bonded to the inside surface and they fail faster than a bonded on top in my experience. I would not do euro bracing for acrylic again.

Rimless can be a problem at the corner seams and the acrylic needs to be much thicker than glass for rimless designs.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus, they are lighter than glass. Huge negative is they scratch over time. The Acrylic can fog. We tried one once. It was a pain to deal with. I will only use glass after that experience.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus, they are lighter than glass. Huge negative is they scratch over time. The Acrylic can fog. We tried one once. It was a pain to deal with. I will only use glass after that experience.
There are some fabricators that tried using continuous cast acrylic instead of cell cast and that might be the reason for the fog. I have never seen that on the hundreds of aquariums we fabricated over 30 plus years.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 300 Gallon acrylic Tank years ago. As careful as I was No magnet algae cleaners it would scratch, Most aquarist at this level of commitment are OCD so acrylic would Be My last choice from Experience, sumps ok NOT Reef Or Marine tanks.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that you don’t scratch it!
Easier said than done. Your urchin can do damage. Over time it got ugly. Glass is forgiving and not so fussy. They never did get the cost down on these things. Glass tanks are also cheaper.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back