Crystal Dynamics 72x24x24 Build Thread

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope everything goes well when you add water. What overflow did you go with? I am getting the 30” modular marine. I like the ability to remove the weir.

I have the 20” Synergy Reef Overflow. Honestly I didn’t know what they were sending, my tank was a custom build and the builder picked it out. Seems to work fine today but I threw away the included Durso type elbows in the box and went with myown design.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see this come together. I plan on upgrading my tank and I am looking to go with a CD 72x30x24 225 gal tank with a metal stand, so very similar to yours with a n extra 6 inches.

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see this come together. I plan on upgrading my tank and I am looking to go with a CD 72x30x24 225 gal tank with a metal stand, so very similar to yours with a n extra 6 inches.
I think you will be happy with them, Zoya is pretty much the reason I went with them. She answered all questions in a timely manner, well as timely as possible being that I’m on the east coast.

My tank is 72x36x24 my stand is made out of 8020.

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like that size, but in the space I am putting the tank, the 72x24x24 made more sense.

I think CD is having a Presidents Day sale on their site. You might want to check it out.

I think you will be happy with them, Zoya is pretty much the reason I went with them. She answered all questions in a timely manner, well as timely as possible being that I’m on the east coast.

I agree, Zoya is great. I bought at Reefapoloosa CA and met with them in person. CD is located in Oceanside, which is only about 45 south from where I live. I have been waiting 6 months, but I think that is unusual as they got backed up on the carpentry.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that size, but in the space I am putting the tank, the 72x24x24 made more sense.

I think CD is having a Presidents Day sale on their site. You might want to check it out.

I agree, Zoya is great. I bought at Reefapoloosa CA and met with them in person. CD is located in Oceanside, which is only about 45 south from where I live. I have been waiting 6 months, but I think that is unusual as they got backed up on the carpentry.
Trying to make me go BROKE sooner than later, LOL!!! My upgrade is at least a year off as I am in no rush, I need to make sure my 120 sps dominant tank thrives before I will commit to spending that kind of money. As always, I do my homework beforehand. I will end up calling them when I am ready as their site isn't very informative as to what this and that does. Still trying to figure out what size hidden overflow I want.

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I didn’t wait quite as long as you, but I will say it was worth the wait. I didn’t have a stand, so, I really couldn’t say.

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t wait quite as long as you, but I will say it was worth the wait. I didn’t have a stand, so, I really couldn’t say.

It looks like getting only a tank from CD goes pretty quickly. The challenge for CD has been a backlog in carpentry causing delays. It appears they are making progress though. I am hopeful next month is the month the my tank is delivered. I don’t think there is anything else I can do to prepare. It is just a waiting game now. In the mean time, I have focused my energy in getting Solar LOL.

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tom Stevens how do you like the modular marine overflow? Im getting a new tank built by CDA at the moment and im on the fence as to which overflow to go with

I don‘t know yet. I am still waiting on my tank. From what I have read it looks pretty trick. I like how you can remove the weir to clean. I went with external to maximize the space in the tank and improve the flow. I am getting the 30” as recommended by Zoya. CDA is doing the plumbing (animal bean), so I am hoping it is pretty turn key.

It you have not done so already, check out the modular marine site.

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just heard from CDA and the tank should ship sometime next week. Zoya sent pictures of the stand before the wrap. Tank pics to come soon.

I decided to go with a Bashsea skimmer which is coming today. That should help with the wait.

I am starting to get excited

54719BBA-8002-4C21-B51C-C5625F35DEAF.jpeg

AF0F5C36-CAA7-4508-A0F3-D2AF18410969.jpeg

372099AD-7F47-41E6-9C52-BAAEF11BE4B7.jpeg

raultsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. My new tank and stand should be shipping soon. Im getting the same stand. The only thing im worried about is the feet creating uneven pressure on my floor

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. My new tank and stand should be shipping soon. Im getting the same stand. The only thing im worried about is the feet creating uneven pressure on my floor

In my case, the tank is going on stone. I did not think about the pressure. If it becomes an issue, then I can use shims. The leveling feet seemed more clean. You should give Zoya a call, she may be able to address your concerns.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just heard from CDA and the tank should ship sometime next week. Zoya sent pictures of the stand before the wrap. Tank pics to come soon.

I decided to go with a Bashsea skimmer which is coming today. That should help with the wait.

I am starting to get excited

54719BBA-8002-4C21-B51C-C5625F35DEAF.jpeg

AF0F5C36-CAA7-4508-A0F3-D2AF18410969.jpeg

372099AD-7F47-41E6-9C52-BAAEF11BE4B7.jpeg
ooh, getting exciting!

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard this weekend they are working on the plumbing (yeah!). Since I purchased a Trigger CR44 sump through them ,they are plumbing the system with blue pipes to match the sump. Should look killer. I also asked for a 3 pipe manifold so I can run the calcium, GAC and Zeovit reactors without extra pumps. I am so excited!

Now I have to start thinking how i am going to move the tank in place after it is delivered. Thankfully it will only be about 30 feet with no stairs and only 1 turn. I am estimaging the tank to weigh about 400 pounds.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back