Crystal Dynamics 72x24x24 Build Thread

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did it! I took advantage of the RAP special and ordered a Crystal Dynamics 72"x24"x24" tank with Starfire glass. Here are the specs:

- 180 Gallon, Euro braced, reinforced seems and Starboard bottom
- 30” Modular Marine external overflow
- Custom white stand. The style is "Cardiff" which has a modern look. I opted for doors on both sides with electrical panel.
- Trigger CR44 sump, 1.5” Animal Bean plumbing with 2 valve manifold

I have put down my deposit and waiting for the build order. I have to temper my excitement as I expect it won't be ready for a couple of months. On the bright side, I can use this time to save some cash for the rest of the equipment. Here is what is on the list:

- 5 Ecotech Radion XR15w G4 PROs which I plan to hang. I was seriously thinking of the Atlantik Orphek v4 but decided against them because I want to control using Apex. I can still change my mind though...
- Marco Rocks. I have used before. This time I am going to look for some good live rock from the local LFS to seed. I used to think starting with all dry would mean no bad hitchhikers... but they seem to find their way in anyway.
- Apex Controller. I have one already and I like it. I work in IT so an Apex right up my alley.
- Thinking of using Maxspec Gyre 350s for the wave pumps. Still up in the air on this one.
- Bubble Magus Curve 7 Elite Skimmer which I picked up at RAP for a steal.
- Alkatronic. I have one already which I won from a raffle. I have been using it on my Waterbox 75.2 and I absolutely love it. Then again, I am a gadget geek :)

The plan is for an SPS dominant system with no sand. I am drawn to SPS tanks and have been inspired to set one up myself. I expect the build will be a slow one as I plan on taking my time and enjoy the build. You can expect lots of pictures though.

I belong to an awesome reef club here in SoCal, the Southern California Marine Aquarium Assoc. or #SCMAS. Hopefully I will get a lot of advice and help alone the way. Some of the member tanks are spectacular!

So follow along and feel free to share your wisdom. I will need all of the help I can get.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I volunteered at RAP this weekend. I mostly worked at the touch tank. Here are a couple of random pictures. Enjoy :).
14D3EA2C-88F2-4F31-9B67-49A0599E6A1E.jpeg

76476DC1-E9C3-4D1E-AF0C-481397691E79.jpeg

26819D54-065E-4994-9752-961613E812E0.jpeg

045A267D-DD24-4D58-BA6A-D3FD258CD5E1.jpeg

649B66AA-5593-4D5E-9E56-192743EFEB90.jpeg

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the trigger on 5 Ecotech XR15w G4 Pros! Took advantage of the 10% off sale. Bought from an out of state retailer and saved on sales tax too :).

Signed the final build order yesterday. Looks like CD sold a lot during their sale as the wait time is 10 to 14 weeks. I will feel lucky if I receive before Thanksgiving!

Even though it is a ways out, I am starting to think about how to move this beast from the garage. It is only about 30 feet between on door and then another slider to get to its final resting place. Good new is I am on a slab foundation which has been tiled. Hopefully, leveling will be easy. I have plenty of time to work this out. Is it worth buying the suction cups from Amazon? If so how many? Will they really hold all that weight?

Also, So any thoughts between 2 Maxspec Gyres vs. 2 Ecotech MP40s? The tank will have no sand, so it is all about max flow. Thoughts?

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the trigger on 5 Ecotech XR15w G4 Pros! Took advantage of the 10% off sale. Bought from an out of state retailer and saved on sales tax too :).

Signed the final build order yesterday. Looks like CD sold a lot during their sale as the wait time is 10 to 14 weeks. I will feel lucky if I receive before Thanksgiving!

Even though it is a ways out, I am starting to think about how to move this beast from the garage. It is only about 30 feet between on door and then another slider to get to its final resting place. Good new is I am on a slab foundation which has been tiled. Hopefully, leveling will be easy. I have plenty of time to work this out. Is it worth buying the suction cups from Amazon? If so how many? Will they really hold all that weight?

Also, So any thoughts between 2 Maxspec Gyres vs. 2 Ecotech MP40s? The tank will have no sand, so it is all about max flow. Thoughts?

I was thinking about renting some heavy duty suction cups. Let me know if you find some good ones!

I went with MP40s because they were on sale and I wanted to keep wires out of the tank. The gyres seem like great pumps but from my research they require a little more frequent cleanings.

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about renting some heavy duty suction cups. Let me know if you find some good ones!

I went with MP40s because they were on sale and I wanted to keep wires out of the tank. The gyres seem like great pumps but from my research they require a little more frequent cleanings.

@SuperSaiyanTang good points on the pumps. Something to consider. The only thing holding me back is the price. Even on sale, MP40s are more expensive.

Where can you rent the suction cups? That seems like a better option than to buy. They are about $40 bucks a piece on Amazon. I figure you would need 6. Another expense that would be nice to avoid.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuperSaiyanTang good points on the pumps. Something to consider. The only thing holding me back is the price. Even on sale, MP40s are more expensive.

Where can you rent the suction cups? That seems like a better option than to buy. They are about $40 bucks a piece on Amazon. I figure you would need 6. Another expense that would be nice to avoid.

If you guys are in socal you are welcome to use mine. I bought the more expensive $90 Woods Powergrips instead of the cheaper made in china ones. I have six be we only needed 4 to move my 72" cda tank in.

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys are in socal you are welcome to use mine. I bought the more expensive $90 Woods Powergrips instead of the cheaper made in china ones. I have six be we only needed 4 to move my 72" cda tank in.

Not gonna lie. I rented my suction cups aka I went to Home Depot bought the nicest suction cups they had. Used them to move the tank. Went back to Home Depot and returned them. Good luck with whatever you decide but the suction cups help a lot

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you @lakai. I live in the OC so I just might take you up on that offer. The build will take 10 weeks, so I won’t need them for a while. I wish the build would go faster.

How many people did you need to move the tank?

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna lie. I rented my suction cups aka I went to Home Depot bought the nicest suction cups they had. Used them to move the tank. Went back to Home Depot and returned them. Good luck with whatever you decide but the suction cups help a lot

Well @SneakyTortuga , that is another option too !

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I decided to take advantage of another sale and bought 2 Reef Octopus Octo Pulse 4 wave makers. They were a cheaper option that works with the Apex. Most of the reviews were positive so I thought i would give them a try. I like the MP40s but it is just hart to justify that kind of money when there is so much to buy. Basically, I got these two for just a bit more for the price of one MP40.

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I found some on Sunbelt rentals website. Looks like they are about $20 a day.

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some on Sunbelt rentals website. Looks like they are about $20 a day.

Cool. I noticed that they hold up to 125 lbs. I suspect the tank empty will weigh 400 lbs or so. Do you think 4 is enough or 6. I think some of the folks will have to hold the tank from the bottom regardless.

I have nightmares of dropping the tank LOL

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I noticed that they hold up to 125 lbs. I suspect the tank empty will weigh 400 lbs or so. Do you think 4 is enough or 6. I think some of the folks will have to hold the tank from the bottom regardless.

I have nightmares of dropping the tank LOL

I am in the same boat as you! My biggest worry is getting the tank inside and on the stand.:eek:

I was going to rent four, but looking at amazon too since you mentioned it.

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat as you! My biggest worry is getting the tank inside and on the stand.:eek:

I was going to rent four, but looking at amazon too since you mentioned it.

Are you so SoCal? Maybe we can partner to move each other’s tank and source the suction cups. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you so SoCal? Maybe we can partner to move each other’s tank and source the suction cups. Just a thought.

Another idea is to ask some folks at the next reef club meeting to see if they have any... and if I am lucky, they might even help move the tank. Most in the club members have either had this challenge before or will have it in the future and they might be willing to help.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back