Cube 20g Aquascape Design Question

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

This is my first reef tank and looking forward to getting it setup and starting things off. I am planning on making this a mixed reef system—starting with mostly LPS—and adding other corals, a few fish, and maybe an anemone, as it progresses.

I've done a lot of research on aquascaping—watching videos, looking at designs, etc.—and have narrowed it down to 2-3 design possibilities for my tank (18"x18"x18"). I was hoping to get people's opinions on design and if they thought there was a right balance to having a mix of shelves, caves, negative space, etc. or any particular +/- experiences with certain components.

I'd be bonding this, to ensure stability, can add or remove little islands in the sand for Acans, Blastos, etc. and it has enough space around the edges for flow and ease of cleaning.

All feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Ryan

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 1.03.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 10.04.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 10.04.13 AM.png

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all look nice depending on what you want. I'm partial to the first (not a big shelf guy - just seems like a detritus collector to me, but high flow will fix that).

My experiences..

I didn't cement mine rocks to together. They fit tight enough and I'm glad I didn't. Every now and then rearranging is necessary (growth, flow) and sometimes removing rock for pest/algae control is needed.

I didn't at first, but after a complete loss (dinos) I started using rock rubble to attach corals instead of frag plugs. Looks more natural and the big benefit is when you use putty to attach it's secure but easy to remove which comes in handy.

I put my rock on pvc risers like stilts it keeps the rock just above the sand for better flow and ease of cleaning. Works well but not 100% sure that's worth it as I still had algae trouble.

Good luck...great start there!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rhpmiller

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They all look nice depending on what you want. I'm partial to the first (not a big shelf guy - just seems like a detritus collector to me, but high flow will fix that).

My experiences..

I didn't cement mine rocks to together. They fit tight enough and I'm glad I didn't. Every now and then rearranging is necessary (growth, flow) and sometimes removing rock for pest/algae control is needed.

I didn't at first, but after a complete loss (dinos) I started using rock rubble to attach corals instead of frag plugs. Looks more natural and the big benefit is when you use putty to attach it's secure but easy to remove which comes in handy.

I put my rock on pvc risers like stilts it keeps the rock just above the sand for better flow and ease of cleaning. Works well but not 100% sure that's worth it as I still had algae trouble.

Good luck...great start there!
You bring up a great point with the need to possibly restructure in the future, so thanks for calling that out! I might try to get a tighter fit naturally and use epoxy only where necessary.

I was thinking shelf or shelves for corals or anemone that needed more light + flow, but perhaps I can accomplish that with just stacking some more rock and building up the right side.

Appreciate the thoughts!

Upvote 0

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the first. Great placement options for corals. Whatever you place on that arch will only make it look more drastic as it fills in. I also like that the arch is not shading much below. Very nice.

If you bond it together it'll be stable enough to elevate the whole scape or shim it. I've done that in the past to have the rock barely touch the top of the sand to help with flow. It also helps keep sand from pushing up on the rock so much.

I use the same shim technique as Quietman from left over pvc after plumbing the tank. I cut the shims just below sand level. Works great.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rhpmiller

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Appreciate all the responses!

I went in a slightly different direction, because 1) was tough to recreate some of these, after playing around with them a bunch and 2) figured I can always move around some of the rocks, as I haven't bonded them with anything super intense yet.

IMG_6068.jpg

(Also, not keeping lights on, just used for photo)

Upvote 0
Back