CUC in fishless DT while 1st fish in QT? Humblefish protocol question.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greyhound
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Greyhound

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2025
Messages
60
Reaction score
21
Location
Ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protocol question: For a fishless DT, can you add CUC to DT while your 1st fish is in QT? Not new to reefing but coming back after a few years break and it seems quarantine has gotten better data. I'm following @Humblefish quarantine guides but had a thought: For inverts, if you have no fish/host in your DT, and you are not introducing 1st fish for 45+ days while 1sy fish is in QT, can you safely add inverts to DT during this time as there will be no host? Put another way, if an invert had tomonts on it and you put it into a fishless DT, wouldn't any released free swimmers from tomonts die within that 45+ day window anyway without a host?

Otherwise, what do people do about algae during the 3 months while waiting to QT 1st fish for 45+ days, then QT a CUC for 45 days unless they have 2 separate QTs? My DT has been cycled over the past couple weeks and already starting to get algae and cyano. I'm not sure how I'll be able to control algae/cyano in an empty tank for 3 months using this protocol, so I'm looking at reasonable options to do in the interim, and it seems like logically introducing inverts to a fishless DT would be safe.

Also, I'm having difficulty finding a reliable source for the multiple antibiotics he has listed in his fish QT protocol. Suggestions?
 
Do you have any corals in the display tank? If not then turn the lights off or block any natural light that is getting into your tank and your algae and cyano should go away.
 
Last edited:
@timqmana , right, I know I could do that. My question is more if what I'm suggesting above logically makes sense. I'd prefer to continue maturing my tank and proceeding through the ugly phase to get to coraline phase rather than keeping lights off for 3 months.

@Fish Fan , thanks, I had seen that one too. I didn't see any mention of qt for inverts though
 
@Fish Fan , thanks, I had seen that one too. I didn't see any mention of qt for inverts though
Inverts are very sensitive to copper medications, and can't be QT'd using the R2R protocol I linked above.

Personally, I am doing my best to QT everything "wet" that I bring in. I use the protocol above for a medicated fish QT, but I also run a separate tank to house new corals and motile inverts for about 45-60 days, in the off chance they might have a fish parasite on them.

I don't think many other reefers go to that extreme, but I quite enjoy the extra effort 🙂
 
Inverts are very sensitive to copper medications, and can't be QT'd using the R2R protocol I linked above.

Personally, I am doing my best to QT everything "wet" that I bring in. I use the protocol above for a medicated fish QT, but I also run a separate tank to house new corals and motile inverts for about 45-60 days, in the off chance they might have a fish parasite on them.

I don't think many other reefers go to that extreme, but I quite enjoy the extra effort 🙂
Right, I know inverts and copper don't mix.

My question still stands though. If you are quarantining inverts for 45-60 days on the chance they have a fish parasite, wouldn't I accomplish the same thing by putting them in the DT now for the same amount of time since it is fishless? From my reading the whole concept for qt inverts is to allow time for any parasites to go through their full lifecycle and die without a fish host.

I'm just trying to figure out a solution where I don't need 3 tanks. My plan was to convert my qt to a frag/invert qt eventually after the first couple fish.
 
The main concern is that the inverts came from a tank that had fish in it. If they were always in a fishless system or you start the fallow clock from when they were added, it would be fine.
 
The main concern is that the inverts came from a tank that had fish in it. If they were always in a fishless system or you start the fallow clock from when they were added, it would be fine.
Right, exactly. I'd essentially be fallow-ing my dt while 1st fish is in qt. Especially if I buy from my LFS who has them in a fishless system.
 
Right, exactly. I'd essentially be fallow-ing my dt while 1st fish is in qt. Especially if I buy from my LFS who has them in a fishless system.
Yes, put the inverts in and start the clock and make sure your temp is high enough.

In the meantime you can be your own CUC with manual removal.
 
@timqmana , right, I know I could do that. My question is more if what I'm suggesting above logically makes sense. I'd prefer to continue maturing my tank and proceeding through the ugly phase to get to coraline phase rather than keeping lights off for 3 months.

@Fish Fan , thanks, I had seen that one too. I didn't see any mention of qt for inverts though

Quarantine for fish diseases from invertebrates is kind of a gray area. It all deals with “biosecurity”. I wrote about that here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/biosecurity.812/
 
@timqmana , right, I know I could do that. My question is more if what I'm suggesting above logically makes sense. I'd prefer to continue maturing my tank and proceeding through the ugly phase to get to coraline phase rather than keeping lights off for 3 months.

@Fish Fan , thanks, I had seen that one too. I didn't see any mention of qt for inverts though

Quarantine for fish diseases from invertebrates is kind of a gray area. It all deals with “biosecurity”. I wrote about that here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/biosecurity.812/
Thanks. What are your current thoughts on brooklynella in clowns? Would you do formalin dip or in-tank treatment during qt on all clowns? I know humblefish recommends that, but didn't see it laid out in your protocol specifically.
 
Thanks. What are your current thoughts on brooklynella in clowns? Would you do formalin dip or in-tank treatment during qt on all clowns? I know humblefish recommends that, but didn't see it laid out in your protocol specifically.
Formalin dips and static baths are the best treatment for brooklynella. However, the human health issues associated with it means it should not be used in homes.

I’m stuck suggesting people use ruby reef rally pro, it isn’t as effective, but much safer.
 
If you don't mind me asking - what is HumbleFish?
 
Thanks. What are your current thoughts on brooklynella in clowns? Would you do formalin dip or in-tank treatment during qt on all clowns? I know humblefish recommends that, but didn't see it laid out in your protocol specifically.
Formalin dips and static baths are the best treatment for brooklynella. However, the human health issues associated with it means it should not be used in homes.

I’m stuck suggesting people use ruby reef rally pro, it isn’t as effective, but much safer.
Can you use rally pro with copper or do you do it in your quarantine protocol after copper? Or is it a dip? And only for clowns or for everything?
 
Its another guy who wrote a qt protocol that is the first one that comes up when you google it, at least for me.
Do they sell quarantined fish?
 
Can you use rally pro with copper or do you do it in your quarantine protocol after copper? Or is it a dip? And only for clowns or for everything?
Unless it's a dire emergency, it's not advised to run treatments concurrently.
 
Unless it's a dire emergency, it's not advised to run treatments concurrently.
I think most fish can handle metro or formalin with copper.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 9.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new