Cultured Tahitian Maxima

denverjon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've currently got a 6" blue squamosa that's doing great so I thought I'd add one of the smaller colorful maximas. I know a lot of people haven't had great success with the larger Tahitian maximas, but how about the smaller cultured ones? I get that maximas in general can be a bit touchy, but do you think the Tahitian cultured ones are less hardy than say Cocos Island or any other locales?

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've currently got a 6" blue squamosa that's doing great so I thought I'd add one of the smaller colorful maximas. I know a lot of people haven't had great success with the larger Tahitian maximas, but how about the smaller cultured ones? I get that maximas in general can be a bit touchy, but do you think the Tahitian cultured ones are less hardy than say Cocos Island or any other locales?
Dunno about locales but I've had success with maximas (after a few fails, including losing one of the most beautiful ultras I've seen.. :) ). Make sure to acclimate well, including salinty.. and feed until the get past 4"... many say 3" but a bit of insurance doesn't hurt.

But the person you really want to get advice from is @Yuki Rihwa ....yuki has a envious collection of clams

campaign000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once got a 5" green Tahitian maxima clam, but unfortunately it didn't make it. IMHO the temp of the water should be liable for the death. Because I later found out that Dr. Mac once said the temp of water the Tahitian clams live is 70 or even lower.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back