Cupramine vs Coppersafe

RealWorld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

What is your opinions as to which is better for ich treatment? Cupramine or Coppersafe?
I have started with Cupramine a couple of days ago and am up to 0.2pm level now. I’m running out of Cupramine so I need to pick up another bottle.
should I continue with dosing Cupramine to the recommended 0.5ppm level, or can I switch to Coppersafe halfway in the middle since a lot of people recommend using Coppersafe here ?

Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

What is your opinions as to which is better for ich treatment? Cupramine or Coppersafe?
I have started with Cupramine a couple of days ago and am up to 0.2pm level now. I’m running out of Cupramine so I need to pick up another bottle.
should I continue with dosing Cupramine to the recommended 0.5ppm level, or can I switch to Coppersafe halfway in the middle since a lot of people recommend using Coppersafe here ?

Thanks.
You wont be able to switch mid-stream like that, unless you change 100% of the water to remove all of the Cupramine and then dose with Coppersafe. The lower working dose of the Cupramine will be too confusing to add into the coppersafe dose. I prefer coppersafe as a preventative, but I feel that Cupramine is more effective against active diseases....

Jay

OP
OP
RealWorld

RealWorld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay.
You wont be able to switch mid-stream like that, unless you change 100% of the water to remove all of the Cupramine and then dose with Coppersafe. The lower working dose of the Cupramine will be too confusing to add into the coppersafe dose. I prefer coppersafe as a preventative, but I feel that Cupramine is more effective against active diseases....

Jay
Thanks Jay.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a bad experience with Cupramine and a wrasse....
Had a McCosker flasher wrasse in my QT for about a week, doing great. eating like a pig and coloring up nicely.
Added a new tang to the QT and then planned on putting them both through Cupramine treatment, which I've always used before, just never on a wrasse. Started slowly adding the cupramine last night and within minutes the Wrasse was flipping out. breathing very very fast, running into things, going non-responsive and stiff for several minutes. would retreat into a PVC pipe and its body would curve up stiff, all fins erect, gasping. The tang was completely fine. I waited about an hour and things weren't improving with the wrasse. did a copper test with my hanna checker and it was .21, which was only half of the recommended the therapeutic level and the wrasse was already non-responsive and appeared on its a way out... I didn't dare add more. Waited a bit longer and the wrasse continued going downhill. I actually thought it died at one point until I tried to scoop it with a net. it shot into a PVC pipe and I left it alone.
I decided to do a quick 60% water change and throw in a bag of cuprasorb to start pulling out the cupramine. Turned off the lights (this was around midnight last night) and went to bed hoping for the best.

Thankfully, the wrasse was still alive this morning and seems to be recovering OK. I ordered a bottle of copper power off amazon, which should be here tomorrow. Will try again with copper power after all the cupramine is out.

This is the first time I've had an issue with Cupramine, but will be going with Copper Power with wrasses from now on.

hopefully the cupramine didn't do any lasting damage to the wrasse.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back